Saturday, January 23, 2016

High Snow Alert - High Bid Achieved

As I had mentioned earlier, I did not drive up to Geneva, NY for the Hessney Auction Company's rod & gun auction because of the then predicted blizzard. Well they were right, as in the weathermen, and the snow has been coming down and piling high since late last night. We have drifts up to 4 feet high in our small backyard and yes that almost bare spot, I mentioned in an earlier post, is still virtually free of snow. The grass in that one spot of my backyard is laying flat but and is not covered by snow. In other words, the snow in that area, about 8 feet or so in diameter, is only about a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch deep. In most places, where I just shoveled, it had built up another 6 to 8 inches within about the last 3 hours. Had to shovel to let the dogs out, otherwise the Chihuahuas would just do it in the house.

Along with the high snowfall I also had the high bid on one of the rifles I bid for in the Hessney Auction Company rod & gun auction - a Mossberg M44US. It was the very last firearm on which I had planned to place a bid in the order items that came up for bids. The auction info did not say anything about it being the version marked "U.S" Property" which would have made it somewhat more sought after but I don't care. I already have one marked that way and wanted this other one as a shooter and maybe later to sell or trade.

I wish I could have been present at the auction hall as I had planned but now that I have seen just how bad is the blizzard we are getting hammered by, I am quite content to have stayed at home. It would have been next to impossible to have returned home tonight, from the auction, as I had hoped. Oh well, maybe next time I'll be able to be there in person and have first hand idea of the condition of any items before I bid on them. I usually don't take the chance of buying an item, pretty much sight unseen, but in this case I decided what the heck.

This is the actual one on which I placed my bid. I can only
hope that the other side looks as good as this one appears.

I think I go it for a good price but it is hard to tell because there is scant to zero info on the condition of any of the auction items offered, unless the description notes a gun is offered as new or unfired. There was a single pic of one side of it and it looked good enough to take the chance. I'll see how I did, well or not, once it is delivered. I figure it will be about a week or ten days before that happens. If worse comes to worst, I'll have a spare parts gun for my other Mossberg M44US.

No comments: