Saturday, January 23, 2016

I've Been Bidding On Guns...

...as an absentee bidder since about 1020 this morning. Hessney Auction Company is holding a Rod & Gun Auction today. I have not had the high bid on even one of about 10 guns I have bid on so far. Eiher prices just jumped even higher than they had been or people are truly stupid. A few guns being sold, in as new condition, had high bids at least a $100 to $200 above what you could get the same gun for new in a local gun store. Considering that the auction house tacks on a buyer's premium of 10 or 13% (depending on method of payment, cash or checks are the lower premium and credit cards the higher premium) and then they add 7.5% sales tax, someone buying a $1,000 gun for a hundred or two hundred bucks over retail at this auction has got to be out of his friggin mind or just an out and out idiot. I checked the prices at a local gun store in my neighborhood, and they were lower than some of the bids placed on these guns at auction and all my local gun tore adds is tax, there is no additional 10 or 13% buyer's premium. People are strange!

Anyway, I did come very close to owning a Colt Anaconda, being sold "as new" in the original box, a hard plastic case. I bid $1750 and the high bid was $1850, I could hear a woman screaming it out in the background as I was on the phone with the auctioneer's wife placing my bids. The women who called out bid sounded like she was a maniac, well she sounded that way to me. The auctions on which I have bid so far have gone fast an very high in price. I don't think I was closer than $500 from the actual high bid for any bids I placed and I was placing bids based on either on prices for new guns in my area (if the gun being sold was listed as new) or on the prices I found in The Blue Book Of Gun Values, The Standard Catalog of Firearms, and the going prices (one with actual bids) on GunBroker.com. I just don't get it except maybe that it has to do with Obummer and the anti-gun hysteria of the left making people buy, buy, buy at any price (and of course with some of the gun buyers being out and out moronic arsehats).

I still have a few items left on which I plan to bid, that is if they call me for them. I missed the chance of bidding on a Remington Model 105 CTI 12 Ga. shotgun because they failed to call me when it went up for bids. Stuff happens like that with telephone bidding. I would have preferred to have been there in person but had to cancel my scheduled trip there because the storm that is hitting my home area would have made it impossible for me to have returned today and maybe even tomorrow. Roberta, the lady taking my bids, told me they are jam packed with about 800 bidders. I have been there in person several times and never saw it that crowded before.

Anyway, I am awaiting her call for a few more items. It should come soon, so I am going to stop typing for now. I'll add more later if I have the high bids on anything.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: