Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ballistic Test - I Was Duly Impressed...

...by the 7.62x39 round. Let's face it, I was also duly impressed by almost each round fired, even the poodle killer round. One that failed to impress was the 5.56. That was a it of a disappointment but then again maybe that is why I do not have an AR. Of course, I would gladly take any of those rounds and use them in the proper firearm for my own self defense because I know a secret, you need to be able to hit your target (whoops, not a secret anymore).





After watching the above embedded video, I guess most people might think wow, the .50 round is superior by far even over the .338 Lapua. The thing is though, you have to be able to lug that rifle around. Now for a sniper rifle, where maybe it is just about all you carry and your wifespotter carries everything else - it would be great. If you had a vehicle to run it around for you, even better. I would probably be pooped after carrying one of those, and say about 50 rounds for it, a few hundred yards at a slow walk. On the other hand, give me an AK47 and 5 full magazines, a 25 to 30 pound backpack (including some water, food, another 5-10 full mags, and other goodies) and I would be good to go for miles. Well, maybe not in my current state of health but when I was in my normal semi-couch potato mode pre-cancer I could have done it. I probably could still go a mile with my choice of set-up if not miles but not with a .50, that is for sure.

When I saw the barrel do its dance after being hit by the 7.62x39MM round, I was impressed enough to think I may have to get another AK at the upcoming gun show this weekend. Man, I do like that round and those rifles. Enough power for a battle rifle, damned cheap compared to most .223 ammo, readily available the great majority of countries in the world and accurate enough out to 100 yards out of an AK to get the job done. I would prefer a rifle in 7.62x51 (.308) that was at least semi-auto but alas they are just to darned expensive and parts would not be as easy to find as they would be for an AK and thus for a rifle that I would carry in 7.62x39.

Oh well, maybe another AK is in my future.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: