Thursday, February 2, 2012

Lest You Thunk I Forgotted My Favoreet HoliDay Out Of Em All Happy Groundhog's Day

Yes, today was Groundhog's Day. I did not forget, I knew it soon after I awoke late this morning. I saw that the little furry bastard, Punxsutawney Phil (the real Groundhog of fame), saw his friggin shadow and we have been doomed with 6 more weeks of winter. Really though, is that so bad? I mean winter is not officially over until about March 19th. That would mean that officially, we have 6 weeks and 4 days of winter to go - so what is so bad about him saying we only have 6 more weeks of it! Yes, I know, had he not seen his shadow we would have gotten an early spring. Well you know, it has already hit 60 up here in my neck of the concrete jungle/woods and it is still January, our coldest month of the year on average. Maybe spring has already sprung. Anyway, what does it matter. What matters is that tens of thousand of folks headed out to a tiny town in western Pennsylvania to gawk at a little furball being yanked out of hibernation, thankfully for him on this not too cold winter's day, to see if he would see his shadow or not and heck, I heard the sun may not even have been up yet when they did it today. Still though, you can bet that those tens of thousands of folks had one heck of a party last night into today, my guess would be most had not slept a wink last night, all for the most underrated holiday of the year. Wait a minute, just wait a cotton pickin' minute - what do you mean this is not a holiday. Yes, it most certainly is if only because it is MY most favorite holiday of the year - even if I made it a holiday.

By the way, you'll have to admit, if you watch the video at the link above, he is one heck of a handsome critter. Obviously well cared for and happy at his job. So when some PETA or Humane Society of the U.S. types tell you this is animal abuse, tell them to go fuck themselves - he could have been road killed, filleted, cooked up and on the table in a jiffy with good sized sides of sweet potatoes and corn!

Happy Groundhog's Day,
Glenn B

1 comment:

Z@X said...

My favorite Holiday as well!

Heck, I can do six weeks of winter standing on my head in a snow drift.