Sunday, March 20, 2011

Oh Henry

Finally got to the range with the Henry Survival Rifle. Being that I took it apart, cleaned it well, then put it back together and got it done right (I know now since it worked), I can say I am a bit disappointed. It jammed about 10% of the time with 3 types of ammo and about 80% of the time with yet another. Except for the one ammo jamming 80% of the time, it was pretty much doing what it had been doing before I took it apart for a good cleaning. I had thought it was doing that because of fouling, guess I was wrong. It did like one ammo though, CCI Mini Mag 36 grain hollow points. Only jammed once firing about 40 rounds of that.

It both fails to feed (lousy design of the rifle I think) and fails to eject. I will have to do another detail strip, maybe this time going all the way and taking apart the bolt - completely. There is a possibility it is jamming because of some fouling inside the bolt then again I tend to doubt it but a good cleaning of all of the bolt's components will not harm it. There is also a possibility the ejector is worn or sheared at its tip, I will have to check that. That could be causing the failure to eject. I may polish the feed ramp a bit to see if it helps it feed ammo better. I am using original factory magazines so tend to doubt they are causing the feeding problem. Oh well, time and some tinkering will tell.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: