Monday, January 1, 2024

Ruger Mark II Assembly

On August 19, 2012, I posted a YouTube video about how to assemble a very popular yet PITA (pain in the arse) to assemble gun. That is none other than what may be the most difficult pistol to assemble that I have ever owned - the Ruger Mark II.  Evidently, I am not the only one who thinks it to be a PITA to put back together; there have been 66,141 views of that video since it was first posted 11 years and about 5 months ago. In fact so many folks have complained about said assembly difficulty that I strongly believe that: Even had all the kings horses and all the kings men been adept enough to have put Humpty Dumpty back together again - I think they would have trouble doing the same with the Ruger Mark II. 
 
I am amazed, I am still receiving requests for info about how to get it put back together again, receiving a request for help just a few days ago. I replied and hope my reply was the info the guy needed to get his together again. It's a little uncomfortable for me to give anyone instructions when I do not have the gun in hand and mine are secured away from my home right now. So, I looked at the part of the video about securing the bolt stop pin which is the part he could not get back held in place properly - that, by the way, seems to be one of the most common problems with this pistol. I told him to watch that part of the video and let me know if it works when he tries it. Keeping my fingers crossed.
 
If you are having problems with getting your Ruger Mark II assembled try following the instructions in my video:  
 

All the best,
Glenn B

6 comments:

danielbarger said...

Yeah.... without doubt the Ruger series of .22 semi auto pistols are among the most difficult to strip and reassemble.

Glenn B said...

Well, I agree with that from the Standard up thrpugh and including the Mark III, the Mark IV is supposed to be easy to disassemble and assemble.

SteveP said...

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with these guns. I bought mine when they first came on the market and it took me just a few minutes to learn how to field strip it and reassemble it.
I think it's stupid simple; easier to put together than a 1911.

Glenn B said...

I am not a 1911 fanboy but have 3 of them or four. They are much easier to assemble than a Ruger Mark II IMO. I am guessing that thousands of folks who own a Mark II would disagree with you about them being simple to assemble, folks who just have trouble with it. Even folks at the Ruger factory seemed to think the design was problematic. Aftervall, isn't that why they came out with the Mark IV.

riverrider said...

done it dozens of times, still need the video, lol. many are the times they were brought to me in a box of pieces. if its still together i just use gunscrubber until it gets totally gunked up in the mechanism.

Michael said...

So difficult in fact in the next series of the gun they specifically tried to make it easier. I'm not surprised you are still getting requests, that gun sold bookoos!