Monday, April 27, 2015

Are You Likely To Get Burned For Your Macho Gun Signs, Bumper Stickers...

...and even the t-shirts you may be wearing. I have pretty much always frowned on displaying (to the public) anything that indicates a potentially perceived willingness to use lethal force, even those things that obviously were meant to be humorous. I don't hang signs on my fence or anywhere on my property that say things like: "I am armed, are you? Think about it before intruding." or Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again. Nor do I routinely wear any clothing that displays such sentiments as: "Two to the chest, one to the head, we like em alive but we'll take em dead" or "Gun Control Is Hitting Your Target" or "Make My Day" (with a pic of a 44 magnum).

I think my son believes that due to me being over cautious. Regardless, I find it quite prudent, especially since I carry on a daily basis, to avoid such things. I am more than willing to legally defend myself, my family or innocent parties, using lethal force, from someone about whom I have reasonable belief to think poses an imminent threat of serious bodily harm or death to us from which we believe we reasonably cannot retreat without being harmed. I don't want any overzealous prosecutor trying to frame me by making me look like some kind of a raving gun nut in the event I ever have to use deadly force against anyone again just because I wore a t-shirt indicating I might do so.

I am a responsible gun owner and am very willing to use deadly force if legally and justifiably called for. I also want to be able to defend myself from any legal claim, criminal or civil, that says I was not justified in using said force and that one of the reasons I used it was because I was predisposed to do. I do not need a prosecutor trying to claim that there were several pieces of evidence that sowed I had said predisposition - such as t-shirts I wore, signs I had posted on my property or bumper stickers I had stuck on my car.

You may think that all so much balderdash but the truth is that some prosecutors who are anti-gun, or just seeking easy convictions at any cost (including the cost of your freedom at the expense of their own dishonesty), will try to use those things to nail you to the cross. If you don't believe me, just watch and listen to this lawyer, a former prosecuting attorney, explain it:
 


All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: