Saturday, February 12, 2011

Ballseye's Guns Shots 117 - Non-Range Firearms Practice

I was wondering how many of you other shooters not only practice tactical shooting at the range but also practice other non-shooting tactical firearms techniques at home. In other words, do you practice things at home such as dry firing (with only dummy rounds in he firearm, such as snap caps), magazine exchanges, one handed loading (if not at a range then using only dummy rounds I would hope) weapons retention, weapons take aways, malfunction clearing, one handed malfunction clearing (again for the last 2, using only dummy rounds if not at a range and maybe even then).

I know, that at most ranges I can use in my area, the practice of most of these techniques would be frowned upon. So, I sometimes wind up practicing them at home with unloaded guns or guns loaded with dummy rounds, or with dummy guns (for weapons retention or take-away techniques). I make darned sure that there is no ammo in the room in which I am practicing, that is unless it is locked up and very secure. I would hate to make the mistake of picking up a mag with a live round after having been distracted and then putting that mag into a pistol and having to live with the possible consequences. I also do it only when no one else is home, well except for the pets. In addition, I do it in the most secure room in my home, the one least likely to allow an accidental shot to hit someone outside or inside (my basement). I would much prefer to do all this at a range but as i said - they usually do not allow it. The only range at which I can do this sort of thing is the one my job uses for qualifications and then it is only under the supervision of our range officers during tactical exercises and practice. Since we do this a very limited number of times per year, I opt to practice as best I can at home with unloaded or dummy weapons.

What about you?

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: