Thursday, March 27, 2008

In Memorium: Richard Widmark

A great actor has passed on, and although he had not performed in years as far as I am aware, whenever I see a movie in which he performs, I watch it. From Kiss Of Death" in which he costarred with Victor Mature and Brian Donlevy, to "Two Rode Together" in which he costarred with James Stewart, to "Down To The Sea In Ships" in which he costarred with Lionel Barrymore, to "The Bedford Incident" in which he costarred with Sidney Poitier, to "Madigan" in which he costarred with Inger Stevens, to "Panic In The Streets" in which he costarred with Jack Palance and Barbara Bel Geddes he was one hell of a powerful actor who could play all types of characters well. He was a great actor among great actors, back in the day when really acting, as opposed to special effects, was what made for a good film.

Of course I did not agree with him on his ideas about gun control (he was an ardent anti-RKBA and rabidly pro-gun control sort), and was I beleive another of the Hollywood Hypocrites who said he abhorred violence and guns, yet many if not most of his movies were full of both and he made millions off of both due to those movies. Despite that, I liked his acting, he truly was a fine actor. He was 93 years old when he passed away on March 24, 2008. We lost a good actor and a lousy advocate for our rights as Americans. Still though, I will miss him as an actor, because if anything, that is what he was above all else as I saw him.

Now I am off to work. (Yes that last sentence was put here for someone in particular, and you know who you are, and you may suspect so do I).

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: