Friday, December 22, 2006

The Christams Eve Mouse

THE CHRISTMAS EVE MOUSE
by Glenn Bartley, 12/23/2006
The Christmas Eve mouse, crept through my house, searching for a treat,
The family cat, slept soundly on its mat, dreaming of a mouse to eat.
The three family dogs, all slept like logs, in bed with mama.
I still awake, some wine did take, and sat alone in my pajama.

Was that a squeak, or just a leak, of steam that started all?
It mattered not, no matter what, it had commenced the brawl.
The cat awoke, as if at the last stroke, of the midnight knell.
It clamored straight, with bounds great, hoping a mouse to fell.

This of course, created a great source, of clamor and of clatter.
No command spoke, but the dogs awoke, to see what was the matter.
Down the stairs, as if chasing hares, they ran away at full speed.
Along the hall, as if heeding a call, to answer a primal need.

Startling the cat, who had been nosing a hat, that had fallen from hook on door.
Who sought the source, the mouse of course, who scurried under hat on floor.
Then the cat loudly meowed, and the mouse was wowed, and it ran fast away.
The dogs gave chase, toppling a vase, bought as a present for Christmas day.

Then the cat it sprang, as if with a bang, and pounced underneath the tree.
The mouse was there, the cat missed by a hair, and the mouse ran up to me.
On my face was a frown, but soon a smile as I looked down, and I saw so cute,
The beast was all dressed, as by now you may have guessed, in a Santa suit.

For a measly crumb, the beggar had come, with an empty bag o’er his back.
I scooped him up, and gave him to a crumb to sup’, and another for his sack.
Back on the floor, he stayed a moment more, then made some sort of sign.
Then on that strange night, I saw such a sight, a sight so very fine.

A family of mice, all looking so nice, all adorned in Christmas clothes,
Came out into the light, it was a wonderful sight, I saw before my nose.
Each wriggled its tail, and without fail, each bade me a Christmas Merry.
I felt fine, as I drank more wine, wondering if was made of a magic berry.

Then away they crept, and soon I slept, the rest of the eve through.
Was I dreaming a dream, that to me did seem, just too much of a real lu-lu.
Well when I awoke, not a word dare I spoke, about what me had befallen
If my wife dear, heard this as I have told here, the nut house she’d be callin.

No comments: