Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Damn This Holiday Shopping

I went day before yesterday to get groceries, including what I need to cook a nice Thanksgiving dinner for Brendan and I. He's going to come to my place for the weekend. Shopping can be a pain in the butt in general but it's even more so when the one doing the shopping is under the weather. Some of the symptoms I suffered from badly over a 4 or 5 month period and not so badly over close to a year if not a bit more, have returned.  The worst is extreme fatigue as seen in my falling asleep at all times of the day, then waking a little while or even hours later as tired as before I slept and being unable to get a good night's sleep due to hip pain. Tramadol (the pain medication for the hip pain keeps me awake many nights) and having to pee several times a night are both keeping me up for a good deal of the night. It's been almost as bad over the past few days as it was at the height of my illness when I was ultimately diagnosed with a UTI and then Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever a week or so later. Not looking for sympathy just giving all the info on what's made my shopping such a pain lately; I've been like a zombie shopper.

So, I went shopping for all the fixings for a really nice Thanksgiving dinner on Monday. I was planning on getting a fresh turkey as opposed to a frozen one. I found some at Sam's Club but many of them looked disgusting as if someone had mangled them before putting the plastic wrap onto them. So, I figured I'd get one at Walmart or Albertson's. Thing was, when I brought my stuff home from Sam's Club, I had to take a nap. I passed out for a few hours and when I got up felt even tireder than before so I never made it to Walmart. 

Not to worry, I'd go on Tuesday. I had a doctor's appointment and thought I'd go after that. Went home first and passed out again for a couple of hours. Finally got up enough steam to go to Wally World late last evening. The only fresh turkey's they had were Butterballs that all weighed over 20 pounds. That's just a wee bit too much for a two person, one dog, bird. I figured 'd go to Albertson's and then to Sam's to get one of the mangled ones if the other place had none. Called Albertson's and the girl who answered the phone sounded dimmer than a burned out light bulb; she told me she did not think they had fresh turkeys but it was obvious she had a difficult time understanding what is a fresh turkey. So off to Sam's - but holy crap I had to step on it, they were closing in 15 minutes or so. I got there with about 5 minutes to spare; went in and grabbed a bird that looked okay that was just over 11 pounds and grabbed a chunk of excellent very aged old cheddar cheese. The turkey was frozen a tiny bit here and there, I guess the cooler was a bit too cool, but I am pretty sure what little was frozen will thaw by Thursday morning when it goes into the oven.

Then it was off to Albertson's. Neither Walmart nor Sam's Club had poultry seasoning and that is an absolute must for the stuffing, at least for my stuffing. Neither had  sage or thyme either or I'd have gotten them and made my own seasoning. While at Albertson's, I also got some apples (I hope I am up to making an apple pie later tonight), some sliced almonds (for the stuffing along with an apple or two) and another thing or three. 

It was just a royal pain in mine arse considering I was more or less a zombie as to how I felt. I could have just fallen asleep standing over but supported by my shopping cart. Funny thing is, I had another terrible night's seep last night but while a bit pooped now, I feel pretty good today, it's not like I am totally exhausted as I was for the past two or three days. Sometimes the Tramadol seems to have these effects: it rids me of all or or at least most of the pain, it keeps me awake and I lay there in bed totally awake but also totally relaxed and the next day I feel fine and awake but need to take a brief nap in the afternoon or late morning. I don't get it, that is why it does that but I wish it did that every time but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it will work like that or opposed to that when it will just cause a lousy night's sleep making me feel like crap the next day.

Anyway, all the shopping is done - or so I hope. I am looking forward to a nice feast for which we can be thankful to our creator whether that be God, the Gods, Nature, the Force, the Universe and the big bang, my mother & father and that smaller bang on New Year's Eve (my guess based upon my date of birth and the fact that most folks born around my DOB were conceived on New year's Eve or so I have heard tell), all of them combined or whatever. Despite all my ailments as of late, I have a lot for which to be thankful, one of the biggest & best is coming over for Thanksgiving dinner and the weekend. Wish we could be with the rest of the family in NY - even my wife regardless of the separation - it would be a nice time. As it is I am thankful for all of them in my life and that they all have their health. There are many, many, many other things for which to give thanks - far too many to list but I am thankful for them all.

I hope each and every one of you - regardless of faith or not, and regardless of race, color, ethnicity, political stance, sexiual orientation, or just about anything else (at least for those of you who are decent folks in the broadest sense of the word decent) have a truly excellent Thanksgiving. And remember, if you possibly can do it - don't forget to watch The March Of The Wooden Soldiers (aka: Babes In Toyland) and to listen to the entire song: Alice's Restaurant (aka: Alice's Restaurant Massacree). It's not Thanksgiving without
 them.

 

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: