Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Winchester Model 37 - The Curse Has Been Broken - I Hope


So, I tried to sell my Winchester Model 37, 12 gauge, shotgun for a fourth time, that  being once in person and three times via GunBroker.com. The first time someone showed upon to look at it and wanted me to sell it to him out of my trunk in a public parking lot. No way that was happening here in the polizestaat of New-Yorkistan. The second time was on GunBroker and the buyer did not send me a completely legible copy of his dealer's FFL and then would not send one. Sorry Charlie but I had that requirement clearly stated in my terms of the auction. The third guy just never sent payment and never got back to me when I inquired a few times to see if he still wanted it. When I called him to inquire, a woman answered the phone, told me the dickhead he was no longer interested and hung up when I asked if I could leave my number for him to call me and tell me himself.

It appears though that this time around, the fourth time (or third time via the Internet), may be the charm. I spoke to the high bidder tonight and he is preparing the buyer's statement I require (basically assuring me he could answer all the question of an ATF transfer form properly), is making a copy of his driver's license to send me (to help assure to whom I am selling it), already has a copy of his dealer's FFL (as required by law) and that is signed in a color ink other than the copy color (helps assure an original signature when an FFL is mailed (oddly enough an original signature is not required if faxed or scanned and emailed - how could it be original if transmitted like that), and will send a U.S. Postal Money order probably tomorrow (the only form of payment I will accept). I am not counting my chicks until the eggs hatch though but this time it does sound promising.

While speaking to him, he asked me some questions about the shotgun and I learned a new trick about a 12 gauge full choke gun. I think he would have been better off asking before he placed a bid because the bid is a binding agreement to make the purchase (if I would want to push it if a bidder backed out, which would not be worth it to me). I was not about to tell him that though and have him think I was being a wise-arse and thus ruin the deal -especially since he was being courteous and accommodating of my terms with which I could tell he was not completely happy (such as sending a copy of his license). But I digress so let me get back to what he asked me and what I learned.

The things he asked about were the look of the bore - which is bright and shiny with maybe a few freckles but no pitting I could see, whether or not it has an auto ejector - which it does, if the auto ejector functions properly - it sure kicks out an unfired shell casing with a good amount of force sending it a few feet across the room when I remember to get my chest out of the way, and if it was a full choke - which it is so marked. It was then, right after that last question, that I learned something. He asked me if how far a dime would travel through the barrel if I dropped it into the bore through the breech end. That seemed a strange question but he explained to me that if the dime passes all the way through (bearing in mind this is a full choke 12 gauge) then the choke has been removed (I would guess either purposefully or worn out from firing it many, many, many times over decades of use). He also explained that if the dime stops about an inch or so from the muzzle, then it is indeed a full choke. I asked him if the dime would be easy to get back out, I figured it would but wanted reassurance and he said yes. So, I dropped a dime. In my estimation, it stopped about 3/4 of an inch from the muzzle opening. He said that was good and seemed quite happy. If he is happy with it, then I am happy because it means the sale will probably actually go through; I hope so.

I will be happy for a couple of reasons other than it being finally sold. I will be happy because I am getting almost double for it over what I originally asked the first time on GunBroker.com. I wonder if I could have even asked for a higher amount and gotten it but I am quite satisfied in more than tripling my money on this gun over the price I originally bought it at. The other thing that makes me happy is that I will have almost enough cash, if I actually get paid, to buy either another Henry Repeating Arms Small Game Rifle in 22WMR (the one I originally ordered and had to be returned because it got damaged in shipping) or will have almost enough for a Barnett Jackal cross bow. Decisions, decisions!

As I said though, I am not counting my cash just yet.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: