Monday, April 23, 2012

.45 Auto - The Ammo Order Is In

What good is my brand spanking new Remington 1911 R1 without .45 Auto (aka: .45 ACP) ammo for it? Absolutely none except maybe as a paperweight, a sinker or a doorstop.

Truth is I do have a store of .45 ACP on hand but I do not want to break-in the gun with high-end JHP rounds; I'll do that with the 250 rounds of Blazer Brass, 230 grain, FMJ rounds I just ordered.

I also added 250
rounds of Federal Classic Hi Shok JHP, 185 grain, rounds to the order. I have to say that the price on each seemed pretty good - I ordered from CheaperThanDirt. Every other place  checked, and I checked several ammo dealers, had the Federal Classic at $3 to $4 more per box of 50 and it was pretty much the same for the Blazer Brass ammo too except all the places I checked had that ammo at about $5 to $6 more per box of 50 rounds. Funny thing is, even Cheaper Than Dirt itself had that same ammo at a much higher price since they offered it from two different warehouses. Cheaper Than dirt Warehouse A had it for 16.69 per box but under Warehouse B they had it listed at $21.51 per box! That was a $4.81 difference, per box, from the same dealer.

As for my old standby for ammo sales, I have just about given up on the Sportsmansguide.com since a recent bad experience I had with their customer service. As far as I am concerned, it is my opinion, that they blatantly refused to honor their satisfaction guarantee. That, added to the fact that I think their pricing is way too high as compared to Cheaper Than Dirt, has put me off on buying from them at least for now. 

As for this current order from Cheaper Than Dirt, this is likely the last ammo I will be buying for the rest of the year because my saved up good time funds and tax return have been totally depleted. (Yes ladies, I spent some on the wife too.) That is, no more ammo buying, unless I get a job soon or unless start selling guns or other stuff that I have around the house. I do not think I am about to start selling guns and I do not have a lot of saleable stuff around the homestead so, I will have to find a job! Speaking of jobs, I have been looking; I put in for another 8 jobs today, or was it 9. I lost track but it was at least 8 applications today. Having a paying job would sure go a long way to feed my shooting hobby even if only part time work.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: