Monday, July 18, 2011

Project Appleseed Here We Come

Both Brendan and I are signed up for the Project Appleseed rifle marksmanship program at Calverton, NY at the end of this month. It is run by the Revolutionary War Veterans' Association.

I imagine Brendan will be shooting one of his AR-15s. Me, I will probably go with either a Mosin Nagant 91/30 or my Yugoslavian M24/47 Mauser. We both need to pick up slings for each of our rifles for this event. If I understand right, a lot of shooting at this event is done from the prone position using a sling. I have not fired from the prone position, with a rifle, for a couple of years or more. I don't think Brendan has ever fired prone. Most ranges around here do not allow it. The range at Calverton maybe normally does allow prone shooting, I don't know for sure because we always go to other ranges than that one. Regardless of their normal policy, they will apparently be allowing it for this shoot. I will have to relearn shooting from prone and Brendan will learn it fresh. It will be a learning experience for both of us. We are both looking forward to it very much.

More on this in later posts.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: