Saturday, May 29, 2010

Top Kill By Another Method

Now that the the attempt at 'Top Kill' to shut down the leaking gulf oil well has reportedly failed, I have a suggestion. It may seem extreme and granted it is extreme but as they say extreme conditions call for extreme measures. As I recall, oil wells that go out of control and spew oil everywhere are often subjected to explosive charges to close off or cap the hole. Now, I realize that this particular well is something like a mile underwater so I suppose it would be pretty difficult to get a charge placed so as to do likewise with it. However I do have a fairly active imagination and I imagine that it might be possible to deliver an explosive charge to the well head, or to the areas adjacent to it (at the proper angle and all that) with the hope causing it to cave in upon itself and hereby shut it down.

My delivery method would be torpedoes using conventional warheads. Is it worth a try? I would think so if torpedoes can be used at those depth and fired with a decent chance of hitting at where they are aimed. I know little to nothing about torpedoes so someone with more knowledge than me would have to think this one out. Sound crazy, well maybe it is but it sounds better to me than BP, the rest of the oil industry, President Obama, the Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Navy, the Army Corps of Engineers, the Coast Guard and anyone else who should be involved just all doing nothing for another three or four weeks while they build this magical bell covering that they say will be the next attempt.

Now maybe for a saner idea. Why not use a deep sea submersible to place explosive charges in such a manner as to try to close the well head? It may have a chance. Of course if that is not possible then I go right back to the original and maybe crazy idea of mine and all I can say is Fire one, fire two and fire three if need be because this has the potential to be the worst man made environmental disaster that we have ever faced.

Maybe crazy and maybe not but at least it is a suggestion and I sent it into BP via:

http://www.horizonedocs.com/artform.php.

I also sent it to the White House, and to my two senators.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: