Sunday, November 23, 2008

Soldiers' Holiday Care Package - aother update

I have got to hand it to you folks - you are generous. I started this up this morning, and I already have collected $175 in donations (including my own) from only 6 folks; and I have a promise for 2 more donations. Wow that is great.

Since I started this thing late it is nice to see that those of you to whom I sent out the emails asking for donations are wasting no time getting them to me. I am not wasting time either. Today I had to stop at Costco for some stuff for home. I got there pretty late, they usually close at 4 on Sundays, and I arrived at 3:30. It was mobbed anyway; then I found out why - because they were staying open until 6 today. I figured while I was there I may as well start shopping for the care packages for the troops.

So far, besides the cigars I ordered online earlier from Thompson Cigar, I picked up the following at Costco:

A big box of Tootsie Roll Pops

A box of 12 decks of Bicycle brand playing cards.

A 10 pack of ChapSticks.

A 5 pack of Gillette Deodorant.

I just pretty much grabbed some things that caught my eye that I figured our guys and gals could use. Tonight I'll probably order a large box of ear plugs. I sent some of them in the first package I sent a few weeks back, and Jaime V. told me they were a very appreciated item. I guess they come in handy for sleeping, and probably also come in handy because Jaime and his buddies are in an artillery unit if I recall correctly.

Like last year I will check into getting them some higher end items like nice pocket knives, and maybe some nice compact high intensity flashlights. I don't figure we will be as lucky as last year to have Streamlight donate another dozen flashlights and extra batteries but you can bet I'll ask them. Even if they do not donate them outright as they did a year ago, maybe they will give a good discount on them.

For now I have some online shopping to do since time is short and the money is there to spend for these care packages.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: