Saturday, July 21, 2007

"There stands Jackson...

...like a stone wall." Every now and again, I check out today in history. As fate would have it, I did so today and I learned something about the significance of today that I had not known. Yes, I already knew about the above quote, though I would not have remembered it, or who spoke it; but I had no idea at which battle it was uttered, nor on what day or date, nor by whom it was uttered. It was uttered by Confederate General Barnard Bee, on Sunday July 21, 1861, in the (first) Battle of Bull Run, aka: the Battle of Manassas, or just Manassas as it was known by the confederates. After that, Confederate General Thomas J. Jackson was commonly known as: Stonewall Jackson. It is a name, no doubt, with which most of us are familiar, but how many knew the details of how he came by that moniker?

If you want to learn a bit more about it, then go to this link:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/jul21.html#bullrun

Another site to check out to see 'today in hsitory' is: http://www.historynet.com/today_in_history

Great stuff!

All the best,
Glenn B



No comments: