Saturday, February 17, 2007

Who is/was Your Favorite President?

Being it is President's day weekend, I figured asking the above question was a good topic to ponder; and yes I do mean out of the U.S. Presidents, not any foreigners please.

I think my favorite was either Ronald Reagan, or Theodore Roosevelt. It is really difficult for me to decide between the two. Even though their politics were somewhat different - they were very much the same. Their love of the USA and their realizing the importance of being a patriotic American above all else were equal from what I can tell. Both were staunch supporteers of strong foreign policy and I like that immensely. Maybe Roosevelt has a bit of an edge in how much of an outspoken outdoorsman he was in that he hunted, shot, fished regularly; and in that he created many of the national parks, and protected many other natural areas. Of course when you think about it, Ronnie put a stop to the cold war, and brought the Soviets down, thereby protecting us all. Both of them knew how to keep our nation strong and face down our enemies.

So even though I asked you, who is/was your favorite president, here I am giving a double whammy type of answer. I can't help myself, they were both truly great Americans, and I think about the best presidents we ever had. I guess the only other one who comes very close would be George Washington if only because he probably had the toughest job of them all, his being the first. Of course there were other great ones, and other good ones, somebad ones and some terrible ones, but as for the best - those first two mentioned above are my picks. I feel quite privileged to have lived through the presidency of one of these men and to have voted for him too.
All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: