Thursday, September 21, 2006

Politicians never cease to amaze me...

... and today I was amazed more than usual by one of them. I am referring to Congressman Charles Rangel, the congressional representative for Harlem in New York City (or at least the rep for part of Harlem). The Honorable Representative Charles Rangel is pretty far to the left on all issues political. He is not anyone for whom I would be likely to vote if he were to run in an election where his was among the candidates from which I could choose. Yet today, even though I know of his very left leaning stance, or maybe I should say because of that hard left lean, he absolutely amazed me, and yo will note I just called him honorable.

As I was reading this article, Chavez Repeats 'Devil' Comment at Harlem Event, at FoxNews.com @ http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,214973,00.html

I read the following:

"As Chavez spoke in Harlem, U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel railed against the Venezuelan leader for choosing his New York congressional district to launch an attack on the president of the United States.

"You don't come into my country, you don't come into my congressional district and criticize my president, " Rangel said from Capitol Hill.

He added that "it would be crazy to think that Americans do not feel offended" by Chavez's remarks."

Yes that absolutely floored me with amazement. You see, at just about every chance the Representative Rangel gets, he seems to slam President Bush and his administration for something. Though it may happen sometimes, Congressman Rangel does not often see eye to eye with the current president. This applies, as far as I am aware, on issues like education, poverty, minimum wages, the war in Iraq, gun control, and so on - they just seemingly do not agree. So when (and may I take this one liberty when referring to an honorable congressperson) Charlie gave the president of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez, hell for calling our president el Diablo, among other nasty criticisms he made of our president, well I have just got to say way to go Representative Rangel. You sir are an honorable man indeed when you defend your president against a big mouth like Chavez who comes here only to stir the pot for his own political gain.

Congressman Rangel, I am proud to call you honorable sir! Today, despite your political difference with the Bush administration, you did the right thing and stood up to this interloper from another nation. Who knows, maybe if you ever run in my district, I may vote for you yet.


By the way folks, what Congressman Rangel did, despite his differences with President Bush, is called an act of patriotism. What guys like Harry Belafonte did, what guys like Danny Glover did, I think that is called grand standing and rabble raising; and it may possibly even be called sedition by some. As far as I am concerned, in my opinion, they were a disgrace to the United States of America no matter how you feel about our current president. On the other hand, Congressman Rangel showed his true colors:, red, white and blue; and I salute him for it!

All the best,

Glenn B

No comments: