Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Remington Model 29 12 Gauge Shotgun Test Fire

I picked up this Remington Model 29, 12 gauge, slide action shotgun at a Hessney auction in September 2018. Until this test fire, in October 2019, I had not fired it. Yes, as I have said before - I am The Great Procrastinator.




It shot like a charm, has a smooth action and one heck of a kick. I was shooting Remington Express XLR (Extra long Range) 2 3/4" high brass shells and it hold 5 rounds in the magazine. As you can see in the video it is a bottom feeding and bottom ejecting model. The slide release is on the right side of the receiver, I forgot to mention that in the video and you probably cannot see me operate it with my thumb. I shot up one box of 25 rounds without a problem. I have to say, it definitely has one heck of a kick but that may have been in part due to my choice of ammo. 



I am thinking its performance was not too shabby for a 90 year old shotgun; this one was manufactured in October 1929. I meant to shoot it on my birthday to celebrate both of our October beginnings but wound up spending that day with my son - which was the more important thing to do and which did not bruise my right shoulder. Anyway, I finally got around to it today and it was a fine way to dispel the Monday afternoon blues regardless of it kicking like a mule at least on the first 5 rounds.

All the best,
Glenn  B

1 comment:

Glen Filthie said...

Yeah - that one looked like it rocked you back a bit! Good luck in the hunting season, Glenn!