Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Going Hunting Tomorrow

I am planning on leaving early (for me) tomorrow. I am hoping to get on the road by 6 or 7. That probably means it will be more like 9 or 10 even though last time I hoped for the same, I wound up leaving at about 2PM. There is a difference this time, I have been sorting and collecting my hunting gear since around 0930; and though I write this while on a break, I am still at it - last time I got ready on the day I left. So this time, things should be all packed in the car this evening and ready to go for tomorrow except for my firearms. Those I will pack just before I depart, no sense in leaving them in my car overnight potentially for someone to steal.

I'll be bringing my crossbow as tomorrow and Friday are still with the part of the bow season that allows crossbow use. I am also bringing my Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum, my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington, my Remington 870 12 gauge and maybe - just maybe my Savage Axis in 308 Winchester. Why so many - why not? Anyway, I like redundancy and in the event of catastrophic failure of the Marlin it would be nice to have a back up rifle. Sure I could go to the 870 as a back-up but I am planning on using that only for small game hunting if I score a deer and or bear early; that is mostly due to a shoulder thing. Of course, just about anyone would be happy to have all that in the event of a zombie apocalypse (have to keep an open mind). I also hope to get in some target shooting if I can find a range. Oh, I forgot one, my carry pistol is also coming along.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that no one has taken the 6 pointer I missed with my crossbow about a week and a half ago. That would be a decent take especially with the crossbow. Taking along my trail cam too and thinking of just leaving it there until the late muzzle loader season (when I can again hunt with my crossbow) and picking it up then. Got a nice few shots of the 6 pointer I missed right at the apple tree that I had spent most of my time set up near but he was there about an hour after sunset. Who knows, maybe he will stop by during daylight one day this time around; he certainly is active during the day as witnessed by me getting off shots at him last time. I will have up to 5 days on this trip to bag one - wish me luck please.

Got to get my stuff packed away so have to go for now. Hope that if you are hunting you have the best of luck.

All the best,
Glenn B

1 comment:

michigan doug said...

Have a great trip. Fill the freezer.