Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Holy Tenacious Trotting Toyotas

I got an oil change today for my 2005 Toyota Corolla and looked at the sticker they put on the corner of my windshield to remind me when to get the next oil change - I was pretty stunned. The reason for that, the next service is due at 100,030 miles. In other words, I finally have a car that will surpass the 100K mile mark and I have had it since day one, so to speak, since I bought it new.

Now, there is a chance that my Mazda hatchback, I think it was a 323, or something with a 3 in it anyway, made it for that many miles but I sure don't remember that it did; I am pretty sure it had 90K or less when I donated it to charity. As far as I know, this is the first car I have ever owned on which I (with a little help from the wife and kids) put that many miles. Knock on wood, lest I jinx myself, it still runs like a charm.

Of course, it looks like crap - it has a bunch of dents in it from a hail storm a few or several years back and has not been washed in well over a year. I figure no one likely will steal a dirty filthy and dented car. Yet, it has been maintained well; although a crook may not think so from how it looks. Anyhow, those regularly scheduled oil changes seem to work wonders.

All the best,
Glenn B

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oil is cheaper than metal, that's why my daily driver that I take for business trips as far south as San Diego and as far north as Northwest Territories, Canada a 1982 300d Benz has over 400k miles. Though that's also why I have to take apart that front end today ans install new ball joints.