Saturday, July 9, 2011

Lazy Days Of Summer - Too Hot & Humid To Shoot (not really)...

...but it was certainly too hot to go to the range this afternoon to shoot, then wind up there without an icy cold beverage of my choosing to make it bearable, so I decided to do some work in the garden today where icy cold biers would be close by.

I have less, than in years past, growing in my vegetable garden this year. A few to several pepper plants, a few tomato plants, a couple of cucumber vines, a  few string bean vines, a few vines of unremembered type (maybe squash or melons), and that is about it besides my wife's herbs. The cucumbers are starting to take off and so are the tomatoes. One of the pepper plants is starting to bush up and produce a lot of flowers, one has given me a few Jalapenos already and another has given me two small bell peppers. I may replant the ones in the ground into pots but need to get a few larger pots at Home Depot first. As for the bean plants, they have given me a few bunches of string beans. Not bad for a small garden though I suppose it could be better. All of my pepper plants in the ground look stunted while the ones in pots look great. no more planting in the ground for them, they all go into pots next year.

I took care of the garden today, picked some vegetables, weeded, watered, cut back some vines growing like weeds, tended to the compost pile and then watered the flowers in back of the house. Then I let the tortoises out for their romp in the sun. After letting them out, I grabbed a couple of cold ones, Hefe Weizen, and had a relaxing half hour or so of sips between snips. I sat at the patio table and snipped up twigs that I had pulled out of the compost pile or had found around the yard, including a large pile from previous days spent trimming bushes and a tree or two. I also swept the patio down. Then I gave a really good soaking watering to the trees and shrubberies in my backyard.
That done, I put the musk turtle out in the yard in a large basin with half land area and half water. He can use a good sun bath like the torts although he does not need it as much as do they.

After that I headed down into the basement and checked on my tortoise and snake eggs in the incubator. Looks as if only one, out of 8, tortoise eggs was fertile. The thing is, it may not ever hatch, for some reason the egg has a long crack in it. I may tape over it to help prevent it from cracking more. It is still alive and shows no sign of mold, fungus or other infection in spite of the crack. The snakes eggs look pretty good for the most part. One looks as if it may have gone bad but all the others seem okay. Soon it will be time to work on the fish tanks. Soon after that the dinner bell will ring. The wife is making pasta and Italian sausages tonight in a mostly homemade sauce. It has filled the house with an absolutely wonderful aroma and I am almost salivating just thinking about chowing down on it.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: