Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ballseye’s Gun Shots 60 - Yugo M24/47

The Yugo M24/47, that I ordered from Classic Arms, arrived today. I am beginning to think that either I do not understand the NRA Firearms Grading standards or that this dealer does not. First I ordered an Enfield that arrived in what I thought was less than specified condition or possibly just at the extreme low end of the condition in which they claimed it to be, in addition to which it was damaged. Now I receive a rifle that was supposed to be in Excellent condition, in addition to which it was supposed to be 'hand select' which was to guarantee 100% blue and...well let me just quote their C&R web page:

"AND SELECT WILL GUARENTEE (their spelling)100 % BLUE AND A REALLY NICE TOP END STOCK AS WELL AS A PRISTINE BORE AND CROWN."

Sorry but they seem to have been wrong again. While the bore looks to be excellent, I would say this rifle is in about 98% blue, and that is not the guaranteed 100% by a long shot! The stock is dinged slightly and has scrapes but all have been covered up whenever it was that the stock was obviously refinished. That is another thing, the metal has also been refinished and there is evidence of prior pitting - though minor it is definitely there - this immediately takes it out of the class of excellent condition let alone hand select. This is apparently an arsenal refinish job. That would have been okay if that is what they claimed it to have been. That would have been okay had I not paid extra for 'hand select' which guaranteed the above. That would have been okay if it had not been advertised as excellent. It would also be okay if I could call them and tell them I am dissatisfied and they should refund me me my money for the 'hand select' BS, but chances are I will notbe able to do that because I may be forced to send this rifle back because it seems there is a possible serial number error.

The original serial number of the rifle (as taken from the receiver) was B7733. That number was stamped into the receiver. Now even though the B is faint it was obviously stamped into the receiver and it is not a V. The same number was also stamped into the barrel and it too begins with B. The same number was also stamped onto the bolt and it too begins with B. A new serial number, almost the same as the old, was electro penciled (etched) onto the receiver either when this rifle was arsenal refinished or when imported. The new number is V7733. To me it seems someone read the letter B and someone else heard it as V instead of B and then etched it onto the receiver. The serial number beginning with the letter V is the one they put on the invoice and therefore it has been noted as the official serial number for purposes of this sale with ATF. I have to wonder if this will cause a problem with ATF, or other authorities, if I ever am called upon to document my ownership of this rifle. Maybe it is something they do with imported mil-surp rifles but I have not seen it on others I have purchased. Note that the B7733 serial number is only on three parts, all other serialized parts do not match that serial number which is further evidence of this being an arsenal rebuild.

The rifle really does appear in very good shape but certainly not the guaranteed 100% blue and definitely not a top end stock though a fairly to very nice one at that and probably not actually excellent condition overall since it seems to be an arsenal rebuild with mismatched parts and evidenc eo old pitting on some parts. Still, I will gladly keep it if they refund my money for hand select and if the serial number difference is not a problem. I imagine they can fix the paperwork for the serial number but also imagine that will take some doing on whatever forms they had to submit to ATF. Not my problem though, I will give them a call about it on Monday and let them figure it out. If it sounds as if they give me a run around on the serial number, I will call ATF to inquire about it but I am pretty confident they will be straight shooters when they explain why they used the serial number beginning with V on the paperwork. I hope so, I do not want to go through the pain in the butt of having to rewrap a rifle and then bring it to UPS again.

There is one problem with this rifle, the barrel band was almost impossible to remove. I think the wood may have swelled on the handguard sometime while in storage or maybe when refinished. I got it off though and cleaned the cosmoline out of the rifle. Luckily there is not much reason to ever take the rifle down that far again except maybe once or twice a year at most so long as it does not get a mud bath or something similar while out afield. I will be shooting it tomorrow with Brendan. I hope that will not void their return policy, I do not see it stated anywhere that it would do so. As I said though, I'd like to keep it, it is in very good condition despite all I said above and if it shoots well, then it is definitely a keeper.


I may seem really picky, or full of complaints, but I have to say I like getting what I pay for and I paid for a rifle advertised to be one way and it arrived in another condition than as advertised. As I said though, I am willing to keep it if certain things work out. Hopefully they will. Wish me luck with that please.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: