Monday, February 18, 2008

Industrious Insomnia...

...must surely be better than sleepless sloth. So tonight, or should I say this morning, when I found myself unable to sleep, I figured I could put my time to good use and I cleaned my Berettas, all four of them. There is something about the aroma of Hoppe's No. 9 gun cleaning solvent, in the wee hours of the morn that leads to a certain satisfaction. I guess that satisfaction lies in a job well done, and Hoppe's surely gets the job done well enough for me to think of these words of wisdon taught to me by a fellow federal agent/firearms instructor Pete G.: A Clean Gun is a Happy Gun. If that is true, then I can say without a doubt: My Berettas are quite happy.

Starting at 12 o’clock and working clockwise is my 9mm Beretta 92SB, yes the gun that made me Ballseye! The next is my model 70S in .22LR. Both of these fine pieces of the gunmakers skill were crafted in Italy. The next is a model 92FS in 9mm, and the last another 92FS, These two basically a brace of pistols in as much as they have consecutive serial numbers. Go figure on how I ever convinced she who must be obeyed to allow me to buy two of them at once, but somehow I weasled my way into getting her to believe conveyed to her the importance of having one for work some years ago, and one for retirement in (back then) some years to come. One is in almost pristine condition having only a few hundred rounds at most fired through it. The other is in excellent but used condition. The Beretta 70S is also in excellent condition. As for the Beretta 92SB, well it has seen better days. While it is mechanically excellent, the finish leaves quite a bit to be desired, but is still in NRA very good to fine condition. Of course now that they are clean, I'll have to follow the words of wisdom of someone else who taught me a lot about shooting. He said every time you shoot your guns you should clean them, and then test fire them to make sure you put em back together right. I guess that means I'll soon be off to the range to test fire them, maybe a couple of hundred rounds each (except for the 92FS that I am saving for retirement). Yes, that means I'll have to clean em again, and of course that means I'll have to test fire em again. Its a vicious circle it is, but as long as the ammo and Hoppe's No. 9 hold out, it will be a blast. As for the Berettas holding up, well Beretta makes some fine firearms and these have not failed me yet after many years of good service, excellent firearms indeed!


All the best,
Glenn B

1 comment:

MightyMom said...

tell me about that trigger lock. does it come off quickly if needed? (If you know what you're doing)....still constantly researching the availability vs safety issue.

cool looking guns. ;)