Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Soldiers' Holiday package - latest items

I did some shopping for package number 2 last night. So far I have the Crock-pot (already purchased that last week, but have not sent it yet and it will be in package 2), and some new items as seen in the pic. Click on the pic to enlarge it.

The items are, starting from the 12 o'clock position and going clockwise: Gingerbread House Kit (with ready made gingerbread pieces and all the trimmings), a case of 12 packs of playing cards, chewing gum, Hershey's Candies variety pack, a 36 pack of AA batteries, a box of 25 Bully cigars by Romeo Y Julieta. They will be squeezed into a box with the Crock-Pot previously pictured in another post. All the other previously bought items and the flashlights shipped yesterday.

By the way, that box of cigars is a good one. It contains 25 cigars, and each of them went for $3.80, yes $95 for the box at Costco! I don't know about you, but when I smoked I thought a nickel cigar was good enough for me, you know the same ones Clint Eastwood smoked in The Good The Bad and The Ugly or one of those Spaghetti Westerns. I figure though that these soldiers deserve much better than what was good enough for me in the way back times of yesteryear. The Romeo y Julietas came highly recommended by 3 people to zero recommendations for another type of cigar.

I also went shopping for some folding knives and quality wool socks. I struck out on both, but did see some fairly nice Buck and Gerber knives at Dick's Sporting Goods for $19.99 each. I would like to see if I can find them locally at a better price, if not I may go with them. As for the socks, I could only find medium weight wool socks, and was hoping to get these guys something to really help them face the Afghan winter. Shopping again tomorrow or Friday, and hopefully one of two more packages (2 & 3) out by this weekend.

The donation amount is now up to $600! With the flashlights donated by StreamLight, and that amount of cash from you guys, all I can say is wow - what nice holiday spirit! Once again thanks to your donations this is all possible, and thanks to StreamLight there is more cash to be spent on gifts. So these guys are getting a lot of nice things - but I must say: the nicest thing they are receiving is your thoughtfulness and your generosity. Happy Hanukkah to those of you who celebrate it, and Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate it. Happy New Year to all.

All the best,
Glenn B
PS: Forgot to picture the receipt earlier, so I updated this blog with said pic on 12/06/07.

No comments: