Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Immaculate Conception?

The test I just took, as mentioned in the post immediately previous to this one, once again demonstrated to me that many people are unaware of just what was the Immaculate Conception in Christian dogma. In that test of conservatism, they pose a question that in essence asks: If you could go back in time, and bring one thing with you, which choice would you make of the following 6 choices. One of those choices is this:

"The Immaculate Conception—with a video camera."

My guess is that the author of that question wrongly believes that the conception of Jesus Christ was The Immaculate Conception, after all this would be some action which you could see, and of which you might be able to take a video. The fact is that the Immaculate Conception was not the conception of Jesus Christ; nor was it an action of any sort. Do you know what truly was, according to Christianity, the Immaculate Conception? Don't look it up anywhere, just answer yes or no as to whether or not you know for sure. If I get a few answers either way, I'll tell you just what was it. And, yes I know the meaning of the Immaculate Conception even though I do not practice any faith; after all I used to be a practicing Catholic. Hint: it reportedly was revealed to Bernadette at Lourdes.


All the best,
Glenn B

3 comments:

Pen of Jen said...

I am not a Catholic, and do not pretend to understand some of their religious teachings.

As a Christian, I do not place Mary up as an elevated person, so I am unclear to this. I do know that Mary had no sexual relations before becoming pregnant with Christ. She then had other children(James for sure) So I am looking forward to reading.

Thanks for the point on home schoooling, I included you in the topic, so one will understand that no, home schooling is not for everyone.
Thanks
Jen

Glenn B said...

Ah, only one taker.

Okay, I'll spill what I know anyway.

The Immaculate Conception was the conception of Mary herself, without original sin, and with divine grace. The act of intercourse to conceive her took place between her mother and father, but the miracle of Immaculate Conception was an unseen act of God at the moment she was conceived in her mother's womb. She was, according to Catholic dogma, the only person ever conceived without original sin, and full of divine grace, therefore the immaculate part.

It is not the conception of Jesus, in which Mary became pregnant as an untouched virgin.

In the 1850s, an unidentified apparition of a lady is reported to have repeatedly appeared to Bernadette at Lourdes. On the 16th visitation, after repeatedly being asked her identity by Bernadette, at the behest of a local priest, the lady replied to Bernadette:

"I am the Immaculate Conception."

This, among other things, eventually assured the Catholic Church that Bernadette had indeed seen the Mary, mother of God.

As Ripley says: believe it or not.

All the best,
Glenn B

MightyMom said...

heyhey, I'm late but I know!!!

After all, I'm married to a Catholic heehee. I've learned SOME things!!!