Friday, April 27, 2007

National Arbor Day - Plant A Tree...

...if you today if you can, or if not maybe do it tomorrow. I have not already done so today, but I will plant one or two on my small backyard this weekend. There is no better time to do it than National Arbor Day, which happens to be today, as far as I am concerned. Although I have to point out I am not a tree hugger per se, I do love seeing nice trees growing. As far as I am concerned they are wonderful in many ways, I guess producing oxygen, and giving shade being among two of my favorites reasons to love trees. I also like: to listen to the leaves rustle in the breeze, to smell the sroma of their flowers or cones, to sit up against one when I hunt, to sleep up against one (also when I hunt), to see kids haiving fun climbing in their branches, to see the birds and hear then sing while flitting about in their branches, to spot a bird's nest high up, to see all the other critters that use trees as home or food, to feel the warmth supplied by a nicely burning camp fire on a cool night in the forest, to read a real book made out of paper, to eat nuts, to use a toothpick, to have a roof over my head, to have the forest as a place of repose, toknow that if we do it right trees are a totally renewable resource that can be used again and again throughout our eternity, to see my one male dog lift his leg and leave his scent on them (yes they are good for all sorts of things), and on and on. Even though I usually cannot tell an Oak from a Sycamore, I can say without a doubt, Trees Are Wonderful.

No I am not an environmentalist kook. I am a man who likes some outdoor pursuits like hunting, fishing, hiking, camping (the few times I ever get a chance any longer), gardening; and being a man who likes the useful products that come from trees; I guess it comes natural that I like trees too. So to all of you out there, who also enjoy trees for whatever reason, and in whatever way, I say to you: Happy National Arbor Day. Now get off your butts this weekend and plant a tree somewhere.

All the best,
Glenn B

PS: My uncle Ken would probably like this post if he read it!

No comments: