Saturday, September 16, 2006

Good friends are nice, and work stinks...

...and a wise man once said that the only good job was a windy one - if you get my drift.

I was essentially called into work on Friday, though I had other plans for the day and was going to take it off. (By the way this had me forget to blog yesterday but as you can see I am up and at it very early, at 0600, today on a Saturday.) A big stink had been made about something or other on Thursday afternoon in my office, and it fell to me to get it corrected even though I had not done anything to cause it by either my action or inaction. I cancelled an appointment I had for the day, a door installation but heck it rained all day so it wwould not have been good to get done anyhow. Then I completely forgot about another responsibility I had for Friday. Well that is I forgot about it until I got home from work late Thursday night. Then I remembered I had a shipment arriving on Friday for which I had to sign. In fact someone would have to be home to receive it if only because of the sontents of the package I would be receiving.

Thinking quickly on Friday morning, I wrote a note to the deliveryperson. I asked that the deliveryperson bring the package to my neighbor in the next house over and deliver it to her, or otherwise if possible to leave it in my garage. Since I figured it would require a signature, I signed the note. I left it taped onto my door so the delivery person would see it, it was a regular sized piece of computer paper, pretty big.

Then after I left home in a hurry to make it to my office, I remembered I had not asked my neighbor if she would accept the package. I called her quickly. I explained my situation with the package and being required to go to work on a day I had planned to be off. I told her what was to be inside the package. She agreeed to accept it nonetheless, and told me that is what good friends are for. Well, since my family and I moved into our current home about 12 years ago, I have not had to many social friends. We see the neighbors socially every now and then, that has been about it for me except a long distance friendship or two that I have. This lady though, my neighbor, is a true friend.

While a neighbor accepting apackage may not sem like a lot to you, it was a big deal for me, and could have been the same for the contents of the package. You see one thing I failed to mention to you above, but I did not fail to mention to my neighbor, was what the package was to contain - live critters. She did not even ask what kind, I guess ebcause she knows I keep snakes, lizards, tortoises, frogs and the like. She has no love for those creatures, yet she agreed to take them in until I arrived home. Very nice of her indeed. She is a good friend if only because 'It is a friend indeed who helps a friend in need.' (Did I just coin a new phrase?)

As it turned out, when my son got home from school, he found the package on our front doorstep, wrapped in plastic. I doubt the delivery person ever went to my friend to deliver the package, something I have to bring up with the delivery service, you know those folks who have all those brown trucks. Oh well, it makes her a friend nonetheless for sure. Nice to have good friends.

It wound up that the 7 snakes in the package seemed to be none the less for having been left on opur doorstep. It was a mild day in the seventies with no sun since it had been raining all day so they did not bake had they might have if left there on a hot summer's day. Even though my neighbor apparently did not take them, she would have left them in her garage, I owe her for the offer. Yes it is nice to have real friends.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: