Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The Sun Has Set For Robert Osborne

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peabodyawards/
14097759879/in/album-72157644799251611/
Now this man I will miss. In fact, I missed Robert Osborne for many months now if not well over a year since I last saw him on TCM. I wodered what had happened to him - retirement, illness, etc. One reason I liked him was that he was a truly knowledgeable film historian and a real entertainer, at least when I saw him on TCM. I never heard him even once use his platform on TCM to speak once about politics or social issues even though, I believe he was gay (source). While he may have done so elsewhere, like when hosting the Oscars (which I have not watched in well over a decade or two) he did not ruin classic films by using them as a platform for such.
 
Regardless of his social life or of his politics, he seemed like a nice classy guy and he presented only the subject matter of his work while appearing on TCM. I appreciated that because I have been sick and tired of celebrities who believe themselves to be social justice warriors who try to shove their views in your face as if they were some kind of authorities on just about every issue imaginable. This man was an authority on film history and that is what he presented and he did so with class.  He certainly gave excellent intros to, and reviews of, classic films.
 
He gone forever now but hopefully will be honored and remembered by way of TCM playing reruns of the movies he loved along with his movie reviews. My condolences to his family and loved ones.
 
More on Osborne and his life's accomplishments here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Osborne
 
All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: