Monday, July 7, 2014

No Wonder Women Used To Be Miserable...

...household chores suck. So far three out of 5 or 6 are done and I only did two of them. Lucky for me my wife bathed the dogs yesterday. So far today, I brought my daughter's car to the shop. That meant about a mile long walk back home which was pretty refreshing even though a tad warm out today. Then, I did the lawn and garden work. I still have vacuuming and straightening up the basement to go along with maybe going shopping and also setting up the new enclosure for my Russian Tortoises. Since I also have to clean out the other critter enclosures, I probably ought to wait until done with them before I do the vacuuming - I usually make quite the mess when cleaning the tanks and such.

Nothing like taking a break for a tall cool drink of something or other though on a warm one like today. It's about 86 right now and had gotten up to around 89 degrees when I was walking home from the repair shop. Fairly humid too but nothing terrible. It would be a nice day to sit around outside sipping mint juleps but since I am not that sort of a guy (not usually anyway), I figure to have a couple of cold ones later on while outside on the patio. I may precede the cool beverages with a cleaning of a couple of pistols though. So far in my summertime gun maintenance ritual, that I commenced weeks ago it seems, I have only finished the long arms. And note, I did say the gun cleaning would precede the imbuement of my bodily fluids with cold beverages so no need to worry about a tipsy neighbor with guns around my house (at least no need to worry about me or my son ever being that guy). For now, I guess I'll start on the critters and clean up their enclosures - maybe let the bigger tortoises run around the backyard while I do so.

Oh, before I go, let me get back to the title of this piece a moment. I can fully understand why women used to be so miserable when all or the great majority of household chores fell on their shoulders; that was back in the pre-womens' lib days. It's different nowadays though so someone please explain to me why all the liberated women are still so miserable NOW. ;>)

Later 4 U,
Glenn  B

3 comments:

Humble wife said...

I had to come over and read this post. Hmmm I am not miserable and to be honest, I cannot remember when Bill did the dishes, washed laundry, made the bed, or vacuumed. But we have our lives split and for the most part I do the indoor chores and Bill does the outdoor chores, including bringing in the money to fund our lives.

I am far from miserable, nor is Bill. Now I do help outside with things, but the success of our family has been the division that we made. I am certain that many may look down on my life that does not conform to the expectations of the women today.

Too sad~Your closing question and I wonder that often.

Enjoy the warm summer days!

Jennifer

Glenn B said...

I kind of figured you might put in your two cents and was looking forward to seeing your, as usual, shiny pennies. I meant it all sort of tongue in cheek but there still is a lot of truth underlying what I said and what you said. It only seems that the NOW types are miserable and were miserable before too - maybe there is no pleasing them. Anyway, I envy the husband who does not have to do any household chores even though I don't do all that many myself. The envy comes from wanting the skill set or trade know how - I would rather have a trade or skill to fall back on that would help get me a job to fill my time. I find my LE skills are not worth much in real life.

Humble wife said...

LOL...you have skills. Work with Adult Probation and Parole, or with the teen court parole. Open up a private investigation office that is not the run of the mill seeking to see who is cheating on who(or whom?!).

The home has been my job for 26 years and I am still learning new things. I bet in your career you had training that could extrapolate into a career where you are the boss. Or you could hold training seminars for LE. It seems like many of the tactical defense trainings are by retired LE that set up training to be held in various places in the country.

You could run for political office using your career in LE as your as the platform saying you are going to weed out crime~by addressing the politicians first!

You could write some LE handbooks, manuals or such and self publish them on amazon.

DON'T undersell yourself. Heck...you could organize a survivor training shooting weekend-and teach weapon safety and such. You could vet each person that would be coming to ensure you did not have the wackjobs!

Or you could head to the university, transcribe your LE training into credits and work for a masters if you don't have it and become an adjunct for a community college or university as they pay per course taught and most are online saving you the hassle of traveling to and fro.

Just a few rambling ideas from NM :)