Monday, February 13, 2012

AK-47 - Pain In The Arse - Well Not The Gun As Much As CA Seems To Be

My AK-47 has had some problems that require a qualified gunsmith take a look at it. Since the AK-47 is a Romanian WASR10 that was imported by, then had compliant parts put on it by, Century Arms, I contacted them to see if they would do this as a warranty service. The issue of whether or not it was still under warranty was not addressed in their return email to me, what they basically said was to contact their location up in Vermont and they would take care of it.

So, I called their Vermont location on last Thursday. I was told that the rifle needed to be sent in for the problem it is having because it is a safety issue. I asked how they wanted that done and they told me that NY State law requires it be sent both ways through an FFL dealer. Well, that is out and out horseshit, NY State law only requires that when it is sent to me it has to go through an FFL. I am most certainly allowed to send it directly to Century myself for the examination and any required repairs. After a brief discussion with the woman at Century Arms, who then apparently did some checking with me on hold, she agreed yes that is correct, I can send it to them myself. She did say she needed an FFL Dealer to contact them before they issued a return authorization number, so they would be assured it would be sent back through an FFL Dealer for the return transfer to me.

I went to an FFL holder on Thursday. He assured me I can send the rifle in myself and that it only had to come back through him. Then when he was on the phone with Century Arms, they pulled the same horseshit on him and tried to tell him he had to both send it and receive it. After a discussion with them, he was then assured, yes I can send it directly. He told me they said they would call me later that afternoon with the return authorization number. They never called me and I did not get the chance to call them that or the next day. So, I called Century Arms today. Guess what, I was again told they would not accept the firearm if I sent it directly because it was illegal as per NYS Law. After about 5 minutes on the phone, during 2 calls since the first was lost, I was told, in essence: 'While it may not be NY State law, it is our policy at Century Arms that you need to have an FFL holder send us the rifle'. There is the crux of it folks, they try to make it as difficult as possible for the firearm owner, they are almost as bad as the government in my opinion! Why would they implement rules that make it more difficult, than state or federal law, for a law abiding firearms owner to send in a gun for repair unless maybe they just want to discourage people from sending them in? Now, this will probably cost me an additional $25.00 and I am not happy about that, not at all. 

I called the FFL who told me, Century Arms has sent him at RA number, he said he would get back to me about it and I am awaiting his return call. My guess is he is calling them to ask why they are insisting he send it to them, or at least I hope he is doing that. I know that on Thursday, he seemed quite surprised that they at first insisted that he had to send it in as per the law. he seemed to have gotten that straightened out with them because he told me they finally agreed that I could send it to them directly.

I guess time will tell as to what I have to do to get this gun looked at and fixed.  should have had it boxed and sent on Thursday as far as I am concerned. Who knows when it will be shipped now! I have to tell you, after being given this ongoing runaround about shipping it, I hate to imagine what they will tell me about the actual problem and then about fixing it. I am hopeful it will not have been less of a problem just to have trashed it and then bought a new one.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: