Saturday, April 30, 2011

Blue Skies, Yellow Columbine & Very Dirty Hands

I just picked up a load of flowers for the garden yesterday at Home Despot. One of them was a nice potted Yellow Columbine (click the pic). The Yellow variety, that I bought, has a lot less contrast to it than the Pink (that Cap'n Bob & The Damsel have up on their site) but is a beautiful flower nonetheless. Both are very nice though I think the Pink wins out by just a bit. Had I seen pink ones, would have gotten at least one pot full of them too.

Today was a great day for garden work. A cool, clear, blue skied late morning and early afternoon. It clouded up a bit but not much and I think the sun is back out again now. My wife planted some flowers and other plants today but held off on the Columbine waiting to find the perfect spot for it. Today she worked with Impatiens, Petunias and Geraniums mostly and maybe the one Dahlia I got for her. She still has the Columbine, more Petunias and Geraniums, some herbs and others waiting.

I planted a Rhododendron (lost one last year when a neighbor apparently sprayed defoliant). I also planted some of the vegetable garden, only: eggplants, peppers and tomatoes but better than nothing. Man did I get get dirty. I plan to plant some radishes, green beans, cucumbers, squash and more tomatoes and peppers. I wonder if it is too late for lettuce?

Plants are more expensive than last year and Home Despot was not selling small sized veggies in the flats of 8 or so that they usually have on sale. They only had individually potted vegetables which wind up being much more expensive. Oh well, with gas as high as it is, I saw regular for $4.599 yesterday (sky high even around here), I figured it would balance out if bought them at HD instead of wasting gas to find another place. Next year I may try some from seeds. I tried some this year but was too early with them and they all died. Better luck next time.

Now that I got some planting done, I think I may clean my new AK-47. If get that done, it could mean a range trip tomorrow. None of that before ordering out for Chinese. I offered to fire up the BBQ but the wife and kids have a hankering for some cuisine of the Asian persuasion. When I think about it, some Moo Shoo Pork General Tso's Chicken (extra spicy, no broccoli), Wonton Soup and some other delectables like fried dumplings are on the menu and don't sound bad at all.

Later for you, I have to go make my selections on the menu. (By the way, one week and one day have passed and I have stuck to my snack free diet. I don't know if any pounds have been shed but have been sleeping somewhat better and feeling better.)

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: