Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Feeling Good Enough Today To Do Some Cooking...

...so I suspect I might get back to work tomorrow. Being out for a week and a half may sound okay, but is is not enjoyable when you cannot do much of anything. I did get to go to the range last Saturday with Brendan, and even though he drove there and back, I guess I should not have gone because it whooped the tar out of me. I thought I was getting better, better than I actually was, and I paid for that few hours of fun with feeling worse the next few days. Oh well, as the doc told me, it will take time for me to fully get better.

I did manage to cook three times this week, and I have not cooked that often in quite some years. First I cooked some really decent steaks my wife had marinated, and I grilled up some young octopus too. Mmmmmm gooood. Day before yesterday, I cooked up one heck of a roast chicken, if I say so myself - but then again Linda and Brendan told me it was great. I mixed up some butter, olive oil, prosciutto, green onions, oregano, paprika, lemon zest, and thyme and used it to stuff the bird under the breast skin (between the skin and breast meat). I added a bunch of baby red potatoes to the roasting pan along with some cut up white turnips, and some of the left over stuffing mixture, and there it was. As for me I really couldn't taste it, I haven't been able to taste almost anything in about a week now, though some of the flavors did get through to me.

Then today I made a mixture of east meets west kind of a meal. I sauteed young octopus in a pan then added halved cherry tomatoes, about 1/2 of a jalapeno pepper, a small green pepper, a bunch of green onions, regular onion, minced garlic, fresh thyme, fresh basil, a leaf or to of fresh spearmint, salt, pepper and the juice of half a lemon and let it cook. Later on I added bean sprouts (the type used in Chinese cooking), and snow pea pods (nice fat ones), and a bit of soy sauce. This time I could taste it a bit. Mmmm good, and Brendan said so to. The wife is about to sit down to try it. My guess is she will say too much salt but that she will like it. The great thing is she complimented me on how clean I kept the kitchen. That means I may start cooking more often. I do love to cook, and I love to eat what I cook even more.


Added Note: The wife sat down to a huge plate of it, all that was left. She ate with some gusto, said too salty and a bit too spicy, but overall was good. Oh well, she ate it all; and I am pleased to have pleased she who must be adored.

All the best,
Glenn B

3 comments:

Rita Loca said...

Aww! It is fun to see how you and your wife seem to have such a good relationship. Very admirable.

Pen of Jen said...

Glenn, I am glad to read that you are feeling better!

I think that if you like to cook, continue. Bill loves to cook and does often..

I love that after 20 years you adore your wife-good for you guys!

MightyMom said...

uummm, "she who must be adored"....I'm trying to decide if I like that better than my handle which is "she who must be obeyed"...it's a tough choice!!
;-)

Now, octopus is something I haven't tried before, where do you go to get it? (I'm too far from water to fish for it, thanks)

I will say that a man who cooks is priceless! Before bedrest and newborn I would say that Subvet does all the "special occasion" cooking and I did all the "everyday" cooking. He's actually better at it than I am. Nowadays, he cooks large quantities of meat and veggies on the weekends so that all I have to do is heat it up and serve. VERY HELPFUL!