Thursday, November 13, 2014

Stone Anniversary IPA and Sauza Silver Tequila (ta-kill-ya)

Just cracked open the second one of these Stone (18th) Anniversary IPAs (India Pale Ale) that I have enjoyed in the past week. It's a 1 pint 6 fluid ounce bottle of hoppy goodness is all I can say. Amazingly enough, I picked this stuff up at Costco where they now sell what the yuppies like to call craft beers. Was there a taste of yuppy nuttiness to it - I am not about to say because dear Lord, I hope some aging fat yuppy slob at the brewery did not dunk his balls in it. Really though it was excellent and it does not need all those hippy marketing bullshit connoisseur connotations to say so. I like to call an ale or beer what it really is and I call this one a damned good IPA. None of that hints of nutmeg (or nuts) shit for me - this stuff tasted like and reeked of hops. 

It is brewed in Escondido in San Diego County, CA and I have to say that it is about time that something better than wetbacks and something almost as good as Pacific Beach comes out of there. Don't get me wrong, I am not slamming PB, it was a great place where I met some really great people and had lots of fun there years and years and ages ago (thank you Cookie S for sharing Paradise and thank you Jo M {now Jo R} for that introduction to a bit of Paradise). But yes, I am slamming California for all the wets that enter the USA through there and that CA welcomes. I digress, back to the IPA.

This IPA is 8.5% alcohol which means that it contains 1.87 fluid ounces of 100% alcohol by my somewhat confused reckoning. That is enough, on some days, to give me a slight buzz. Two of these ales most definitely take the edge off of whatever and three make me happy for sure. Now tonight, I only drank half of the one I had in the fridge. Don't fault me for it - since I shared the other with my sole male heir and offspring. At least the sole one to whom I will admit having had a part in bringing into this world. (There are not others, as far as I am concerned, even if my sperm accidentally did the deed as unbeknownst to me.) He is heading to Atlantic City to win money tomorrow night (much to my disappointment) and I am heading tomorrow morning or whenever I awaken (alone, and also much to my disappointment) to hunt for and hopefully kill a deer in upstate NY. So, I figured sharing it (the sole ale in the fridge) would be a nice gesture to wish us both luck. He liked it and I liked it.

It really was excellent and as I seem to recall it did not cost all that much compared to other craft ales offered by Costco. I usually buy a couple or few more expensive ones, mixed in with a couple or few less expensive ones, and last time when I bought these was no exception. I cannot recall the price per bottle but is was substantially less than the $8.99 (per bottle) that I paid, per bottle, for the two bottles of Ommegang Three Philosophers that I got at the same time. The Ommegang Three Philosophers is something like 9.5% alcohol and contains 1 pint 9 fluid ounces (it is also made in NY and is one of the good things made here despite their support for Obummer).


The only other thing (yeah right) I have to comment about is that it was too bad I only had one for tonight. My son has to work tomorrow, so half of one was good for him and almost good for me. Well, maybe not at all for me. Me, I am heading out to the hunting grounds whenever I awaken in the morn. I could not give a shit about how drunk I get tonight, or aboutwhen I wake up tomorrow. So, I wish I had another. Then again, maybe that is not really so. If I had another on hand, I would have had been required to drink that too.

Considering I am now drinking Sauza Tequila Silver I am not sure that would have been wise. What can I say, ONE HALF OF AN ALE WAS NOT ENOUGH so I added tequila to the mix! Now that the ale has disappeared, I am scoffing down some clear nectar of the Aztec gods, Sauza Tequila Silver. It is not their supposed best, not by far, as a liter cost me and would cost you only about 16 bucks and is on the cheaper side. In fact, it is probably their crappiest tequila (if crappy tequila is possible and after 4 years in the Border Patrol I know that is or not possible, at least as far as I am concerned) but I like it. It reminds me much of what I used to drink when I was in those family bars in Mexicali and I drank an awful lot of it (Sauza Conmemorativo and Sauza Silver) and loved it too! I am loving it right now - no salt with it - just wedges of lemon and lime to suck down with it.

What can I say but yummy and I will sleep almost well tonight while I dream of my son making a killing at the tables in AC and me making a killing in the woods of NY.

If you read this and are an animal rights activist, an anti gambler or an anti-boozer - TOUGH SHIT. Man, I hope I did not forget to pack anything, before about an hour or so ago, like ammo or guns because if I did, well the hunt is over before my anticipated hangover will be finished.
 
All the best,
Glenn B

1 comment:

The Old Man said...

It's cheaper, more work and more satisfying to brew your own. THEN you can mix it with t-killya or Doctor Jack or cheap rum.
A great evening and piss-poor morning are guaran-flipping-teed. BTDT. Loved the nights, not the mornings.
Rock on.