Sunday, July 19, 2015

I Have Got To Give BATFE Some Credit

I don't like the idea that we even have a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives within the federal government and I certainly do not like many, if not most, of their regulations relative to firearms and explosives. However, I have to give them credit when they are due credit. Years ago, I attempted to contact them by email and by telephone regarding an inquiry I had about the legality of a firearms transfer. They basically told me, via a return email, to pound sand. By phone, when I called their HQ, it was not much different. I also sent them a written letter via the post office, it got me nowhere. I called them again, dropped a dime on myself as being a federal agent, and only then did I get someone to give me some advice on my issue.

Last week, I made an inquiry of GunBroker.com an issue I was having about shipping a firearm. GunBroker got back to me the same day and they got back to me twice that day because, after their first reply, I had a follow-up question for them. I suppose that was both to my benefit and theirs; after all they are in the business of being a firearms auction house and it stands to reason they answer user inquiries quickly to keep their customer base happy and thus they keep making money.

Had I sent an email to BATFE and gotten a reply the same day, I may have fallen out of my chair on seeing it. Truth be told, I almost did fall out of my chair after contacting them. I sent them an email inquiry about the same subject on the same day I sent my inquires to GunBroker. BATFE replied to my question only two days after that and the reply I received was completely to the point and addressed my inquiry as good or better, in my opinion, than did the replies I got from GunBroker. I don't know what exactly has changed at BATFE to get them to reply to me so quickly, without any bureaucratic smoke being blown up my arse, but that change is a welcome one. Now if only they would realize the meaning of the Second Amendment.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: