Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spreading The BS (no this is not about politics)

Well, maybe it was cow manure and not BS but I spent a few hours out in the garden today and some of that time was devoted to spreading the shit manure. I only have two small patches in which I usually grow my vegetable garden supplemented by whatever I grow in pots so there was not that much to spread. Still though, I managed to spread about 240 pounds of the stuff, even more that what my fat ass self weighs. I cleaned up the leaves, twigs, trash, and whatever else was there, turned the soil, spread the poopy (composted - of course), then worked it into the soil a bit. My good buddy, Arthur I. Tis was there with me and my aching back and knees and hips can attest to his presence.

After that, I got to trimming some bushes so that when they do bud and put out leaves for the season, they will not make the backyard look too much like an unkempt jungle. I also cleaned up a bit of this and a bit of that and had an overall rewarding time of it except for that pest Arthur being there. I did notice, while tuning the soil, that the two areas I plant with veggies are loaded with earthworms. I grabbed a handful for my critters. The fish, newts, salamanders, frog, turtle and tortoises all had an enjoyable lunch today - well not enjoyable for the worms but certainly enjoyable for my critters anyway.

I also put my seed tray outside to let my tomato, cucumber, watermelon and pumpkin sprouts get their first feel of the sun's rays on them. They all sprouted in the last couple of days. Another week or two and outside they go for the season.

All that done, and some bill paying and online banking too, my wife, daughter and I sat down to a nice dinner of Corned Beef, boiled potatoes and cabbage bok choy. My wife said the supermarket was out of cabbage and I'll admit it tasted close enough to almost fool me into believing it is a suitable substitute. Since dinner, I have been enjoying a nice glass of Beaujolais. More projects tomorrow, a visit to my mom and maybe a trip to the range too but for tonight I am going to relax.

All the best,
Glenn B

.

No comments: