Sunday, August 1, 2010

That's Why They Call It Fishing - Not Catching

Sometimes you go fishing and you just don't catch a thing; it happens to the best of us. And that is the way it was on Saturday night for me and everyone else aboard the Captain Al out of Point lookout, NY. I did not catch a thing, I had only one sure bite and never even came close to hooking whatever stole my bait that time. What a sad excuse for a fishing trip but as the guy, from Wisconsin said, "that's why they call it fishing and not catching". Can you imagine how disappointed he must have been, in NY for the first time, gets to go out fishing and to be on the ocean for the first time in his life, and to not catch a thing. he had the right attitude because when the guy from Brooklyn said I was a nice boat ride anyway, we three all agreed. The seas were so calm as to make one almost believe we were on a lake, a calm lake at that. Early on we were treated to a gorgeous sunset. later on we got to watch fireworks in the distance near the shore. We also got to see some squid and some small elongated fish which at first I thought were eels but the guy from Brooklyn told me they were not eels though he could not think of their names. Could have been a small, maybe 10-12 inch, gar like fish.

This guy told me this, that guy told me that, man oh man I wish I was better at remembering names I have forgotten already and only last heard their names about 45 minutes ago! Oh well. There were also two long time US resident aboard who were originally from Russia, I had a nice time talking to the young lady of the pair, who was standing off my right shoulder. We also had a guy who brought along a boom box type of radio and we got to listen to the Yankee game, I only half listened every now and then, I am not much of a fan of athletic sports. All in all everyone of the other fares I spoke to was very nice and that is not always the case on a party fishing boat.

The crew was okay too although, the mates were pretty good and friendly. I was pretty disappointed though that the captain who took us out tonight (the younger of the two I have met for this boat) did not stay out longer as used to almost always be the case, on this boat, if the fishing was poor. Kind of makes me think another old time good thing has gone down the toilet. An extra half hour or hour would have been a nice and welcome touch. Even if it did not accomplish putting any fish on the deck, it would have made the customers happier knowing that they crew had given it their all to try to bring some type of fish up from the deep. I guess it was just not happening on this trip. Oh well, next time - hopefully.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: