Saturday, July 3, 2010

Ballseye's Gun Shots 75 - A Little Gun Cleaning Was Overdue...

...so I pulled the mil-surp rifles out of the gun cases. Whoops - did I actually forget them inside the cloth gun cases for the last 2 weeks since I shot them last. I usually clean em pretty quickly after shooting em, this time I let them sit around for weeks! Not that it usually matters much with non-corrosive ammo that I have been shooting through them lately but this time I just forgot all about them and left them in soft gun cases. That was a mistake. Pay attention now, because if you do then you can learn a lesson at my expense due to my mistake.

When I pulled em out of he cloth gun cases to give them a quick once over I found that the Russian Model 91/30 Mosin Nagant had some surface rust, just a smidgen and not much to worry about but almost all my fault. Why? Well, because those cloth gun cases are absolute moisture magnets and this is summer and they were in my basement and the humidity up this way is pretty high and it does not take all that much difficulty to connect the dots to figure out why it was my fault. Then, I did say almost all my fault. Part of it is due to the age of the rifle and the condition it was in when I bought it. It had surface rust then that I cleaned off and so it is prone to rust easier than if had not ever been in that condition. Of course, if I had removed it from the case, cleaned and oiled it, right away, it would not have rusted again - so I suppose know it is all my fault after all. Whatever, it is okay now. Nothing a little rubbing with a cloth with some Breakfree CLP on it would not cure and nothing that some of the same, along with removing it from the cloth gun case after shooting it next time, will not prevent.

The other two rifles pictured, the Hungarian M44 Mosin Nagant and the Yugoslavian M24/47 Mauser were okay. I am fondling holding the Mauser.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: