Saturday, January 19, 2008

Something New But Not A Gun...

...should soon be on its way to me in the mail. I just ordered a Bounty Hunter Land Star metal detector. Hopefully the price I ordered it at matches the model I ordered. You see, Dick's Sporting Gods has the Land Star metal detector advertised on their web page with 2 totally different prices. It lists it under one listing with a price of $299.99, and under another listing with a price of $379.99, see: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=bounty%20hunter%20land%20star&origkw=bounty%20hunter%20land%20star&sr=1. Now as far as I am aware, Bounty Hunter only makes one Land Star model, and that can be seen here: http://www.detecting.com/products/product.cmdl?c=378c73459a2911d4. I hope Dick's is not screwing around and playing some sort of a game with a different model, which of course, will go back to them pronto for a refund. I have seen the Land Star at other places for the lower $299.99 price, so I am hoping that is right. With a $10 off coupon I had, and with a $40 gift card I also had, the price in total for me was $249.99 (with free shipping).

Once I get this uber goober nerdy device, you will be able to find me at the beach this winter, especially after storms at low tide, searching for washed up coins and the like. I may try it out first in my backyard, but last time I used my brother's metal detector back there I came up with a metal box filled with crushed/burned animal bones (there were enough little bits and pieces to assure me the stuff in there was bones). Maybe a buried pet's remains, regardless it was something I would rather not have found. Who knows what other 'treasure' awaits me in my own backyard! Well anyway, I figure having a metal detector will be something that will help me go out to get some sorely needed exercise. Walking and digging should do something to help out in that regard. I have a few locations in mind in upstate NY too, place in the forest where there are old ruins, and these are places that not many people ever visit because they are far off the beaten path.

Now as for actually finding anything of value with this thing, finding a nice item or two right off the bat would also probably assure that I keep at it. Then again I do not expect to get rich, but just wish to have some fun prospecting. If I do find anything of value, so much the better.

Now before it gets here, I had better scrounge up the cash, to put into the checking account, to pay the AMEX bill; and of the $249.99 I will owe because of it, I have about $200 of it now. So I only need to come up with $50 more so that my wife doesn't clobber me.

Holy cow it is 0340 (as in, in the morning). Can you say "insomnia", I had best be off to the sack.

All the best,
Glenn B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glenn, My brother-inlaw and his wife have been using metal detectors for years. Dan is also a scuba diver and uses his occasionally while on dives.

If you're interested in asking him a few questions, I'll get the Ok from him and send you his email address. He's a pretty "help" oriented guy, so I think he might have a few tips for you.

Good luck with the search!!

GreyBeard

Glenn B said...

I'll wait till I get in before Ia sk any questions, but if you already have my email, go ahead and give it to him.