Sunday, May 1, 2011

More Time In Our Garden (not quite Eden but it will do)

Well, it's just over 2 hours spent in the garden since I went out after cleaning my AK. I got several pepper plants, an eggplant and a tomato plant in some pots. Before doing that though, I hit up the compost pile. There was some rich looking soil midway down to the bottom of the pile. I sifted it through 1/4 or 1/2 inch screen. Then, I mixed that with garden soil, peat moss and sand in about 3/4 of the pots, the other 1/4 of the pots got everything except the sand. Wish I had thought of the sand sooner but then I would not have had enough for all the pots. I watered each pot right after getting the plant into it and noticed the water was not draining as quickly as it should. So, I found the play sand I used to use for my Bearded Dragons and dumped some into the third pot. From then on they all got sand and I had enough left over for one of the pots my wife was using for her flowers. Adding the sand sure made a difference as far as drainage went and I think I added just the right amount to all but one pot. The first one probably got somewhat too little, live and learn.

Since yesterday, I have planted about 6 different varieties of tomato: Beefsteak, Early Girl Bush, Roma, Cherry, Patio hybrid and Yellow Plum Tomatoes. I am not sure I actually bought the patio Hybrid but think it is out there. I also planted a few varieties of peppers: Yellow Bell, Habanero, World's Hottest Habanero, Jalapeno, Giant Jalapeno, Cayenne, and maybe one or two others. Along with them all, also planted two types of eggplant, one Black Beauty and two Ichiban Japanese Eggplants. I still have cucumbers and string beans to go. I am thinking of getting some butternut or other variety of summer squash, and maybe plant some pumpkin and radish seeds.

With those vegetable planted and with all the flowers my wife has already planted, it is starting to look like a garden out there once again. It is just about 2 or 3 weeks later than usual for us to be planting. That's because of the very cold weather we had this April.

I am done with the garden work, probably until next weekend. I already washed up some but now it's time to quit blogging and go take a long hot shower before dinner. May your thumb be green, your cucumbers be firm, long and tasty and your tomatoes perfect to squeeze and ever so juicy and delectable. Happy gardening and enjoy what you produce.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: