I received the following email from a couple or a few people over the past 2 or 3 weeks. It give advice on what to do if a woman is accosted by a bad guy seeking to do her harm or rob her or hijack her car and so forth. I suppose it is just about as applicable to a man who is accosted by a criminal. I read it and said to myself, wow I wonder if all the facts stated are true. Then I thought what does it matter because some of the advice seems pretty good to me. Now I will not say it is all good or that it seems that way to me, but some of it is. All the parts about defending yourself seem good to me in my opinion.
Of course, along those lines, I think there are several,pother points that should have been made but were left out for some reason. So, when I received essentially the same email tonight, I decided to reply to all recipients of it with what I thought and still think is some good advice (again just my opinion).
Below for your perusal is the content of the email I received. That is immediately followed by my reply to it. I can not say with certainty that either contains good advice, but I know for sure that in my opinion it is better to fight back than allow yourself to be seriously hurt or killed.
The Content of the Email:
Because of recent abductions in daylight hours, refresh yourself of these things to do in an emergency situation...
This is for you, and for you to share with your wife, your children, everyone you know. After reading these 9 crucial tips, forward them to someone you care about.
It never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do : The elbow is the strongest point on your body.
If you are close enough to use it, do!
2.. Learned this from a tourist guide. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you.... Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their chequebook, or making a list, etc. DON'T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR , LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.. If someone is in the car
with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, Repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you.
If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door..
Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead..)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!) 7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; and even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably in a zig -zag pattern!
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked 'for help' into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird.. The police told her 'Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.' The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, 'We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.' He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night.
10.. Water scam! If you wake up in the middle of the night to hear all your taps outside running or what you think is a burst pipe, DO NOT GO OUT TO INVESTIGATE! These people turn on all your outside taps full ball so that you will go out to investigate and
then attack. Stay alert, keep safe, and look out for your neighbors!
Please pass this on This e-mail should probably be taken seriously because the Crying Baby Theory was mentioned on America 's Most Wanted when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana
I'd like you to forward this to all the women you know. It may save a life. A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle. I was going to send this to the ladies only, but guys, if you love your mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, etc., you may want to pass it onto them, as well. Send this to any woman you know that may need to be reminded that the world we live in has a lot of crazies in it and it's better to be safe than sorry. Everyone should take 5 minutes to read this. It may save your life or love one's life.
The Content of My Reply:
They left out, I think, a couple of very important ones, they are in my opinion:
If you can afford it - buy a handgun and get a carry permit if required.
Get training on how to shoot and get training on self defense with a handgun.
When you are an innocent and are threatened with imminent loss of life or serious bodily injury by a criminal - shoot the bum in self defense!
Want to go advanced: Get training on handgun retention and handgun take-aways; you would be surprised how easily you could shoot a bad guy with his own gun.
More people carrying and using their firearms when legally justified will probably help save lives, it happens more often that you probably know.
Never be too afraid to defend yourself or other innocents from people who are about to do you serious bodily harm or kill you; if you cower in fear you my die like a cowering dog. You deserve better than that from yourself.
As my mother has often said over the years: "Life is cheap." I never quite knew what she meant by that, I always thought life was precious. Then one day, out of the blue it hit me like a ton of bricks. What she meant was that these dirt-bags who want to rob you, rape you, molest you, hurt you, kill you consider life cheap - that is when it is your life they are considering.
If you cannot bring yourself two buy a gun, then buy a TASER (note only buy these things if you can legally do so) or a stun gun, or pepper spray, or mace, or carry a knife (very difficult to master the use of one though).
Think about it. If you are willing to crash your car to get away from a bad guy who you think is about to really hurt you or kill you, would you not also be ready and willing to defend yourself with a weapon to even things up some or better yet to have you come out the winner and alive. I would, I have, I will again if necessary.
Again, let me say, I do not know if either actually gives good advice, but in my opinion I think that fighting back is the best key to survival although, of course, there is still a risk of being injured or getting killed if you do fight back. It is a tough decision to make and one you need to make for yourself if you are ever in an encounter wherein someone is threatening you with imminent serious bodily injury or death.
All the best,
Gunblog Variety Cast Ep 140
7 hours ago