Wednesday, April 3, 2013

First Impression: TAPCO USA, INTRAFUSE 10rd AK-47 Magazine - Black

I tested out some of the 30 new ten round Tapco USA Intrafuse AK magazines that I purchased earlier this week, at the range tonight. I had thought they were polymer but stand corrected after seeing the webpage for these mags, they are made from a composite material. I am not all that happy that they are a composite material and was not happy when I thought they were polymer either, I prefer metal. While I wish they were metal, composite was all that was available before the anticipated arrival of the dreaded purchase deadline for 10 round mags under the NY SAFE Act. That would have prevented me from legally buying any more ten round magazines here in NY. Well, I should say sort of, kind of, maybe before the deadline because it is now a moot point. That part of the NY SAFE Act recently was suspended indefinitely to allow ten round mags. The law still says you can only load them with seven rounds though unless at a range. How preposterous and how like a bunch of whining Demoncrats and RINOs to think that up - but I digress, so I will get back to the magazines.

The mags are Tapco USA Intrafuse, 10 round, black composite magazines, in 7.72x39, for the AK47. I bought 30 of them fearing the above mentioned deadline. Tonight, I joined about 29 other members of Long Island Firearms at the Nassau County Range for the LIF monthly shoot at that location. I brought along 20 of the new mags and just enough ammo to test them all. As it turned out, I only wound up testing ten of them. I figured that testing 1/3 of the mags I had bought was more than a good enough representative sample. I have to say, they functioned flawlessly.

Also, as opposed to reports I read on the LIF gun forum recently, there were no problems seating or removing the mags from my AK as others had said they experienced with their AKs. They recommended using  a stone to remove some of the composite material to make them easier to insert into the mag well but there is no way I see that as being necessary. These inserted with ease. When I first got them, I had difficulty getting one to seat in my son's AK but I think that was due to his AK being very filthy. Since then, he inserted at least half of them, maybe even all, into his AK's mag well without a problem. As for those other folks who actually took off some of the mag, maybe they got a bad lot but these worked just fine. 

I used my Century Arms WASR-10 AK-47. I was restricted to using only HP or SP ammo at this particular range and the mags easily handled both types. The brand ammo that I used was Wolf for both the hollow points and the soft point ammo. There were no failures to feed. I only fired ten rounds out of each magazine but as I said all fed flawlessly. I think you can understand me being in the ammo conservation mode right now with the price of ammo as high as it has gone recently. When ammo is again more abundant and at lower prices, I will put a lot more ammo through these mags to give them a good going over to assure sustained flawless function.

Nice to see, they are made in the USA.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: