Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Ammo: To Sell Now Or Not To Sell Now - That Is The Question

Watch this video:



That was inspiring in as much as I am now reconsidering selling some of my .22LR and other ammo. Are people really buying .22 LR ammo for over $60.00 per brick? Yes they are doing so, in droves. I just checked GunBroker.com to see what already had bids on it. I was amazed; I knew the prices were high but not that high. Some bricks of .22LR, nothing special mind you, have sold for over $75.00 apiece. Wow!

As for the guy in the video, he sounds like a guy who spent his money on mostly other things than ammo and is now taking it out on others because he was ill prepared for what has come about.


I am not a prepper but am somewhat prepared. I just took a quick look at my .22LR ammo (did not include my .22 Magnum). I have a decent supply of it laid in, good to last through frugal use during a revolution, a few nuclear winters, a zombie invasion and the Apocalypse combined. Here is what I found in five minutes of looking through my ammo locker, ammo cans and shooting box and bag. Almost all of those boxes are full. The exceptions are the ammo in the pic on the far left (your left as you look at the pic). The vertical CCI Mini Mag box and the other five stacked boxes next to it are partials. All of the bricks are full, except one and that one is missing 100 rounds. There is also the one odd box of 100 rounds of  .22 Short in the mix which I shoot in a .22 LR revolver, so it got included here. I figure about 6K of 22 LR rounds.

Now that I have seen the prices that others are getting, I am at least considering selling some of it. I figure maybe I could part with, let’s say 500 to 1,000 rounds at most. Yet, I am still not sure I want to do so. Why not? Well, as I see it, ammo prices are going to fall drastically, from the levels they are at now, once seasonal production kicks in. That, of course, is a good incentive to sell now but those prices are not going to fall back to the levels they were even a year ago, let alone to the prices of five or ten years ago. Yes, that means I could make a great profit now and buy replacement ammo later and still have cash profit remaining but that depends on two or three essential things. It depends upon whether or not I am right and that ammo prices will fall drastically, which depends on production going into full seasonal swing - which may or may not be hampered by government regulations, the economy and other concerns such as availability of resources (and the way the people and the government have been buying ammo – resources are sure to be short) and my getting any depends on me having money at the time all of this may happen. So maybe there will be a glut of less expensive ammo soon and maybe not. Selling what one already has, hoping you will be able to replace what you sold with a supply that is not there now and at prices that you hope will fall is chancy.

Then again, do I need to replace it? Or maybe I should ask: Should I sell some of it because there are folks out there who do not have any or almost any of it? To answer the first question, let me say that, I have enough .22LR and other ammo to last me a good long while. It may be enough to last five years in survival mode. While I could shoot it all within a couple of weeks, if I wanted to waste it,  try to remember I mentioned the frugal use of my ammo above and I mean that here too. As for that other question, why should I sell any to some schlub who did not have the sense to lay is a small store of it when the writing was on the wall. How could anyone, who is into guns and shooting, not have noticed that ammo was selling faster than peanuts outside the elephant house at the zoo! Look at the guy in the video again. Do you think that just maybe he shoots now and again or is he just wearing the Glock shirt and cap to make himself look like an all knowing gun guru. (Now that I think of it, that could be truer than you or I might imagine). Then again, there are others out there who also did not buy ammo and who, in my view, do not seem as idiotic or look as silly as does that guy. Do they deserve to be sold my ammo? Maybe, I will have to think about it but I must say, if I do sell any, my prices would not be as high as the ‘sold at’ prices I have seen online.

I will have to think about offloading some other calibers too; I have ammo in at least two calibers for which I have no guns. Go figure but once upon a time I thought that ammo could come in useful to sell or barter on a rainy day and brother it looks to me to be pouring right about now.

All the best,
Glenn B

3 comments:

Peter said...

I'd suggest being cautious about disposing of ammo. I've just sold quite a lot, but I first sat down and worked out what calibers I wanted in my emergency battery, and made sure I had sufficient stocks of those cartridges. Where I didn't, my first priority was to trade for more of them until I did have enough.

My second priority was .22LR, because that stuff's like currency in an emergency situation. Anyone and everyone wants .22, because one can do so many things with it - hunt small game, train others to shoot and practice one's own skills (thereby saving full-bore ammo), even defend oneself in a pinch (and particularly allow those who can't handle much recoil, such as youngsters, inexperienced shooters and the disabled, to defend themselves as well). I traded into a whole lot of .22LR ammo, in decent-quality name-brands. I now have over 25,000 rounds of the stuff, about half of it match- or defensive-grade, the rest plinking stuff. As far as I'm concerned, in an emergency, that's as good as that many dollars sitting in my wallet.

Only after satisfying those needs did I sell any more ammo. YMMV.

jon spencer said...

I just paid $75 dollars for a brick of 22LR, but this was at or near the same price as last year.
It is SK HiVelocity Solid, a round that I use for shooting hunters pistol match steel targets.
It is still in stock at champion shooters supply too.

Glenn B said...

If I had 25K rounds of .22LR, here in NY State, I would probably be listed as Public Enemy #1.

Nice stash!