Saturday, July 17, 2010

Gone Fishing...

...or so the sign should have read. I got my salt water gear ready late this afternoon. Actually it was ready and has been in that state since last year in my shed. I just gathered up what I needed. Then after dinner I headed to Point Lookout to go out on the Super hawk. I had called them last weekend and they said they would start going out on night trips this weekend. As I arrived at the dock, there was the Super Hawk just offloading from their afternoon trip. I asked a mate about tonight and he said they were not doing any night trips. He recommended the Captain Al in the next berth.

I have been out on the Captain Al many times over the years. I like that baot and the crew, it is one of the slowest boats around but they stay out longer to make up for that. About 10 people were already aboard and I boarded and was able to get a spot on the rail in the stern. That is great when they drift or anchor for blues and strippers. I left my gear aboard and went to the store, grabbed a big can of Heineken and some peanuts and headed back. Climbed aboard again and waited. I noticed there was no crew and that was odd. At about 6:50 PM, the captain boarded, came to the stern, told the people gathered there that there would be no trip tonight because his crew had not shown up, gave out $5.00 off tickets and said adieu and farewell. He also said the next trip would be 7AM tomorrow for bottom fish (Sea Bass, Ling and the like).

I grabbed my discount coupon and fled. I headed to my car quickly and then drove about 25 minutes Captree, hoping to catch a boat there. As I arrived, I quickly drove past the fishing boats, I saw one was readying to go fishing, the others had either left already or were not going out. I made a quick u-turn and was about to park when I noticed the boat was no longer in the slip. It had, in fact, slipped away in the 30 seconds since I saw it there and was making way to the fishing grounds without me! Crap, crap, crap close but yet so far!

I headed home but stopped at the supermarket, picked up a 12 pack of St. Pauli Girl and a package of double stuffed Oreos and headed home to enjoy both. Beer and coolies - health food. Hopefully, I will fall asleep early enough to feel refreshed at about 5Am, so I can leave by 5:30 to go back to the Captain Al for a day trip tomorrow.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: