Wednesday, July 23, 2008

How Could I Resist - It Was A Package Deal

Yes I am short on funds, yes I am trying to save up for a new gun, yes I have been hit with a lot of unexpected bills lately, yes my son's college tuition is due by July 31st (ouch - man have state university tuition costs skyrocketed); but how could I resist a deal like this. I mean even if the scope is a piece of trash, and I am not saying it is but just that it could be at this price, so long as the scope mount/receiver cover is of decent quality this is a good deal. Supposedly the cover/mount is all steel.

What exactly is it? Well, it's a scope mount and rifle scope for a Yugo SKS that is being offered by Centerfire Systems at: http://www.centerfiresystems.com/pkg106.aspx. I never heard of this outfit before, but I found them while searching for info on a SAIGA in .308. Once I saw this ad on their home page, I was hooked. Of course, I realize that any scope mounted as far back on an SKS as this will be will probably want to scoop my right eye right out of its socket with each shot fired, but I have other plans for the mount than using the scope that comes with it. My hope is to mount a 1" tube red dot sight in the mount. That will not protrude anywhere nearly as far back as would even the so called "mini compact scope" that comes with the package. Of course, since the scope comes with the deal, I'll have to mount it before buying a red dot scope, just to see how it works albeit facing the risk to my becoming a cyclops. Who knows - it may be just the thing for an SKS. For the price of $34.98 I cannot go far wrong, that is of course barring losing an eye to this set-up. Sure the ad says $24.99, but I am adding $9.99 they charge for shipping accessories.

I have already ordered it, and once I have received it, I suppose I'll have to make a trip to the range with Brendan and a couple of good pairs of shooting glasses to check it out. Once I do, I'll let you know what I think of it.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: