Sunday, May 22, 2016

I Was Going To Call The Alaska Department Of Public Safety...

...to inquire as to the legality of carrying firearms while Brendan and I will be on vacation in that state in the near future. So, I went to their website to get their phone number but while there I saw Alaska's General Questions Firearms FAQ and I took a look at it. Most of the questions and answers they have listed deal with why someone would be restricted from carrying firearms there, for example convicted felons and illicit drug users cannot do so nor can those under the influence of alcohol. One has to scroll down more than halfway through the list of questions before getting to what I think should have been the first question and answer on the page:

"Do I need a permit to carry a firearm concealed in Alaska?

No. In Alaska, anyone who is 21 years of age or older and legally allowed to possess a firearm is permitted to carry the firearm concealed without a permit."

How nice of them to allow for such, what a difference from New York, my home state, wherein it is usually almost impossible to get a concealed carry permit. The FAQ takes a load off of my mind about whether or not my son can carry there.

The very next question in the FAQ was an important one and the answer is one of which anyone visiting Alaska and then intending to carry concealed should know of ahead of time. That one asks if you need to do anything special while carrying and you come into contact with police. The answer - yes, you must immediately notify the officer that you are carrying.

Alaska also has this webpage on their site. It plainly states that: "Alaska does not expand upon Federal firearms laws for ownership or possession of firearms." They have an additional webpage "In Alaska" that outlines when one can and cannot carry in Alaska. 

I may still give them a call to make absolutely sure I can allow my son to carry one of my handguns (in NY that would be considered an illegal firearms transfer even if both of us had pistol licenses). I almost cannot wait to get out of New Yorkistan to visit a state that could be aptly named Freedomland.

All the best,
Glenn B


 

No comments: