Sunday, May 3, 2015

As Tasty A Looking Burger As They Come

What attracted me to a piece about cooking burgers was that they do it in a cast iron pan. We used to use cast iron pans almost exclusively, with a pair of aluminum clad stainless steel pans in reserve when we wanted to be lazy. The laziness comes in because cast iron needs a bit more care and attention than does SS.
Anyway, I clicked on this link to find a recipe for a burger that looks pretty darned good.

I'd get rid of the lettuce an maybe the tomato and be in heaven with this one.
While at that site, I discovered a restaurant that I might have to visit someday for one of those burgers when I am feeling adventurous. It's in a neighborhood that, last time I checked, was a shithole. As a matter of fact Bushwick, that neighborhood, has been pretty much a shithole since my pre-teen days.

I spent the first several years of my life living in Bedford-Stuyvesant, the next neighborhood over and it was much worse than Bushwick but that does not make Bushwick any less of a dump than it was then (and probably still mostly is today). It was also a fairly dangerous neighborhood with lots of crime, including violent crime. Unless they somehow figured out how to get rid of all the dope dealers, junkies, car thieves, muggers, rapists and such - I do not suppose it any better nowadays; however, it may be getting an uplift from leftist yuppies who can no longer afford other gentrified neighborhoods in Brooklyn like parts of Williamsburg.

Anyway, I may find myself not too far from there in the not too distant future. Maybe I'll be taking a ride past 750 MacDonough Street (where I was raised for the first several years of my life) to get a reminder of the really old days or might driving east along Flushing Avenue, from other parts of Brooklyn, to avoid traffic on the BQE or might just get a hankering for a greasy spoon kind of a burger. I never know when or why I might wind up in that area but if I do, I think I will have to try one of those burgers at Forrest Point. If I do that, I'll make sure to write it up here.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: