Saturday, February 21, 2015

Just Ordered A Brick of 22 LR...

..at Palmetto State Armory and still almost can't believe that by the time I receive it I will have paid a total of $54.40 for it. It worked out to $39.90 for ten 50 round boxes, plus $3.50 shipping (additional shipping over the shipping for the other part of my order). I will also have to pay an additional $10 for the transfer to me from an FFL here in NY.

Just the ammo alone going for $40 still befuddles me. Virtually all other ammo has come down considerably in price (with the exception of M855 that just skyrocketed but that is another story) in recent months and availability of virtually all ammo has gone way up (again excepting M855) but for some reason 22LR is still priced sky high by most dealers. The one online exception I have seen is Cabella's but finding it available with them at their lower price is like hitting the lottery.

It's not like the ammo I just ordered is anything special either, it's Magtech 22LR, standard velocity, 40gr lead round nose ammo. I figure a decent price for it would be between .04 to .05 cents per round. I bought it anyway; I really am concerned that within the remaining time he has in office, president Obama and his cronies/henchmen will attempt something that will drive prices of ammunition even higher  (like a new tax) or may even attempt to place an outright ban on all ammo sales.

I probably would not have bought it as a stand alone item but figured, since I was already buying a hundred rounds of .308 WIN ammunition, I might as well add one brick's worth of it to the order. That only added another $3.50 to the shipping charge and the transfer fee in NY remains the same no matter how much ammo is in a single order. Such a deal, maybe I should have bought two or three or...

Now the long wait to receive it - PSA is notorious for taking about 2 weeks to ship an order. I don't mind the wait, I have more than enough 22LR to hold me over until then and well beyond.

By the way, Palmetto State Armory had a fairly decent price on Prvi Partizan .308 WIN, 180 grain, soft point ammo at $13.99 per box. I know I could have gotten a better price, by maybe a penny or two a round, on this particular 308 ammo but customer loyalty played a part in this order. Anyway, had I gotten it elsewhere, they probably would not have had the 22LR ammo in stock and maybe not the reliability that PSA is known for either.

All the best,
Glenn B

3 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

Next time you come down here to visit, we'll have to take you ammo shopping and send you home with some rounds that didn't ding you for a "transfer fee".

Glenn B said...

I have been dreaming of an ammo buying trip but it cannot come during or anywhere near the end of home heating oil season. Since my wife is going to Italy with my daughter in September, it might be a good time frame - right before heating season - for me to do that trip. Have been imagining I could hit a few of the ammo dealers I have dealt with online as I make my way to parts of the country I have not visited before or at least not recently.

Glenn B said...

And lest I make it seem otherwise, I appreciate the sentiment and am looking forward to buying some ammo next time I am down your way!