Sunday, January 26, 2014

Today in History - The Short Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk III Rifle

On January 26, 1907, the SMLE (Short Magazine Lee-Enfield) Mk III rifle was introduced to service in the British military. It was and remains, a bolt action, box magazine fed, repeating rifle that was  chambered for the .303 British round. The SMLE Mk III was modified in 1915 to become the SMLE Mk III* and had a new designation as the Rifle No.1 Mk III* in 1926  (pictured).


It is, at 107 years since it was first issued, the longest serving (officially issued to military or police forces) bolt action rifle in the history of the world. It is currently issued for use by government forces in such countries as Bangladesh and India where it is issued to police forces.

I wish I had one and that it would not be too much to ask that it be in excellent condition! I remember when they could be had for about $75 and I passed at the opportunity. I could literally kick myself in my arse for missing out on that one because they aren't that inexpensive now.

Sources:

http://www.historyorb.com/today/events.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield#Pattern_1913_Enfield


All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: